GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Not Retarded
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a house and am planning on finishing the garage up. It's 30'x30'x12' in size with 2 8'x10' doors. Anyway, I found a local guy selling used 4' long x4 bulb light fixtures with the bulbs for only $15 each. These are the ones you see in office buildings with the plastic lenses. It would look great to have a flat ceiling. I don't think they are cold rated though. Do you guys think it would be worth getting these at that price or going with the $25ea for 4'x2 bulb cold rated from home depot?
Here's a pic:

Do you guys think 12 of these would be enough if I had 6 100w incandescent bulbs also?

·
Full-time FSC'er
186 Posts
You're talking about the lay in fluorescent fixtures, right?

And by cold rated, you mean temperature, not code, as well? If its a temp rating I would think it'd be the ballast that is the issue. Wouldnt get full ligh output until the ballast warms up as well as the bulbs. However, you can get rapid start ballasts, instant start ballasts, etc to deal with that. Only downside is they hinder bulb life, from what I understand is due to the quick heating of the tungsten. Stil, well worth it. It's what we use in schools and they work very well.

And are the fixtures coming with bulbs? Or you gonna buy the bulbs? If so, get the T8 bulbs. Much better light, and just an all around better bulb.

Only problem with getting electronic ballasts is if you wanted instant start ballasts the electronic ballasts run about $30 for a 4 tube ballast. That could get pricey if you pay that on top of the $15 for the fixture. But they wont hummmmmm like the magnetic ballast will.

As far as number, I have 3 2-tube t8 fixtures in my little roughly 15'x15' garage with 8' ceilings, and its alot of light. And in the school classrooms we usually put 12-14 4 tube fixtures, usually about 4ft apart from each other and 2ft from the wall, and those are 9 foot ceilings. The classrooms probably measure 30x30 or so. I dont have any lumens calculators, but there are some online (I just havent looked) to determine how many fixtures you'd need for an area.

·
Not Retarded
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I picked 12 of them up. It turns out they only have 2 40watt bulbs in them though. They should be plenty bright for my needs. Since it is going to be heated I don't think cold-reated ballasts are needed. I'm putting 4-6 100w bulbs besides so if I have a quick job I'd just use those and keep it cold.

I've also decided to go with a standard window air conditioner mounted in the wall and two of these heaters: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001GKXGE...e=380333&creativeASIN=B0001GKXGE&linkCode=asn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts