GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this isnt the right section but did any of you have to put and aftermarket transcooler on ur trucks after lifting them???? just wondering because i did to mine and my trans temps get up high like 210 i think if i i have the line pressures lowered and the truck retuned for the bigger tires i should be ok no???? the truck has a cooler from gm maybe this is confusing i just dont wanna waste money foolishly on something i dont really need when i could do other things w it. any help or info would be great appreciated

·
Diego Mafia
2,625 Posts
210 seems kinda low to me around 280 you should get worried.

·
In Valor There Is Hope
8,277 Posts
in the summer on long drives i've seen mine get up around 210

·
Bag Envy
2,247 Posts
I posted the same question a week or two ago. Alot of people chimed in and honestly anywhere betwwen 180-210 is average. If your still worried about it you could get a deeper tranny pan. I've talked to a member on here and he said the mag-hytec pan dropped his temp 15-20 degrees after installed. Also if ya haven't re-geared yet then that should help it to.

·
Where's the van?!?!?!
636 Posts
210 seems kinda low to me around 280 you should get worried.
:nono:

180 is normal

200 ... ok well its hot outside

210 ... ok its really hot outside

230 ... ok i better pull over and let it cool down

280 ... time for a new trans

To the OP: if you're seeing a consistent 210 and aren't towing a boat, you should look into a deep trans pan (as mentioned previously) and a good synthetic fluid. The deep trans pan will help keep the fluid cooler AND will also have a drain port. I'd recommend doing a drain/fill if you ever see your fluid hit 230.

What size tires and what gears do you have? It might be a wise investment to regear the truck properly since being undergeared will cause excessive trans temps as well.

·
SierraDime
537 Posts
i run constantly around 170-180 city driving and no more than 186 pulling the quads behind. but if you work it off-road the temps climb fast i have yet to see my truck break the 192 mark.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well ive got crappy 3.42s and im runnin 33x11.5 17 on a 3in rough country lift the truck is tuned do u think it has to do with the line pressures being higher im getting it retuned wed what do u all think i should have them do with the trans like lower the pressure alittle im pretty new to the tune stuff sorry if i sound ignorant about this

·
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
2,668 Posts
The highest mine has ever goten was 189, and thats it. This was in stop and go traffic and some hot ass weather.
That's because you're not lifted! :slap:

Mine has been running around the 180ish range. Yesterday driving from Georgia to South Carolina in the middle of the day when it was 95 outside and I was pulling about 6-7000 lbs...the highest my tranny temp got was 205.

That's with 35s and 3.73s.

·
SierraDime
537 Posts
it should have nothing to do with your tune, im gonna say your working your truck harder with the low gear ratio

·
Where's the van?!?!?!
636 Posts
well ive got crappy 3.42s and im runnin 33x11.5 17 on a 3in rough country lift the truck is tuned do u think it has to do with the line pressures being higher im getting it retuned wed what do u all think i should have them do with the trans like lower the pressure alittle im pretty new to the tune stuff sorry if i sound ignorant about this
You're under geared. Invest in some 4.10s (are you ever going to upgrade to 35s?... you'll want 4.56 or 4.88 at that point, especially with the 4.8)

Gearing now will save your trans, and therefore pay for itself :shake: ... not to mention you'll finally be quicker than a prius again:crazy:

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
i need to regear but my truck does not have a trans cooler that I know of so I may add one of those in the mean time til I have the money to do this

·
1,847 Posts
My trans. temp usually runs 100 over the outside temperature. So right now it's running about 200 and thats a stock truck :shrug:

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
My trans. temp usually runs 100 over the outside temperature. So right now it's running about 200 and thats a stock truck :shrug:
do you have the tow package w/ the trans cooler, I am thinking no, cause you are running about what I did stock, this 90* weather is going to kill me, I am just keeping it out of overdrive til it cools off some.

·
Diego Mafia
2,625 Posts
i was towing my boat this weekend and mine only got to 230 towing up a 45 degree hill in 95 degree weather. I think i might get a better tranny cooler just in case tho.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I ran 198 deg the other day just doing normal driving.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts