GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first truck, and will be my first drop so I apologize if this has been asked before.
Just want to know a few things before I order parts.

Want the 4/6 drop so my wife can get in easier.

Is there any clearance issues I need to be aware of?

Any issues with speed bumps ,driveways, Etc.

I plan on running the stock 16" wheels for now. May upgraded wheels later when money is available.

Truck is a 2001 Ext. Cab Silverado

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
Depends...What are the roads like around you and how it will ride depends on what kind of lowering kit you get. And I would think you are going to rub pavment with the stock 16's on there. Some one can help you though. and how big is your wife. its like 2 foot to get into a truck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roads in this part of SC are not very bad.
Wife is in a wheelchair and stock the truck is too high for her to get in comfortably.

Main reason for the drop. Would a 2/4 drop work better on the stock 16's.

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
Roads in this part of SC are not very bad.
Wife is in a wheelchair and stock the truck is too high for her to get in comfortably.

Main reason for the drop. Would a 2/4 drop work better on the stock 16's.
4/6 will be fine. It just depends how you lower the front not how much you lower it.

If you go 4/6 it might need new tires though. With a 2/4 Im sure the stock ones would fit fine.

·
SyTy Speed Shop
229 Posts
if you do a 2in spindle and 2in spring up front and good shocks the ride will be close to stock, 6ins out back will be a flip kit where you flip the axle from the bottom to the top of the leaf springs, and it will require a c-notch to keep the axle from bottoming out on the frame and riding really rough, and again good shocks will keep the ride pretty good. Also the 4/6 drop will require you to get shorter tires so that they don't rub on the fenders, and that will require the computer to be reprogrammed for the shorter tires so that the speedo will read correctly.

Id probably start with a 2/4 drop, that way you can keep the stock tires, and then if you still want to go lower you can.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Stock tires work fine on a 4/6, actually have my stockers on the front right now until I get some new tires on. For the most part you shouldn't have any issues with speedbumps, driveways, etc.

·
Registered
167 Posts
watch out for a 4" in the rear. id say you need the notch and if your going to go that far might as well get 6". i have a 3/4 and the front rides good and the rear is terribe. i cut the bumpstops and there is only about 2 inches of clearance between the axle and bump stop. im thinkin of doing a notch now and am leaning towards belltech but still have do to a little research on whether i can use the notch with my 4" now and when/if i go 6" will the notch still be in the right spot.

·
GMFS Member
55 Posts
I did a 4/6 on my SCSB 04 silverado, and before I got my 20's I rolled on stock 16's, and it road and drove like a dream... Just like everyone says, get some good shocks... I used Toxic shocks on mine and I worked perfect, I think it rides better than factory personally.

I do realize 02's sit lower than my 04 does, but a friend of mine the owner of Pankake, drives a 99' silverado ECSB with a heavy ass bed cover, rode around on stock 16's on a 4/6 and the ride was equivalent to a new Cadillac.

I say go for a 4/6... Just get a -1 degree on your front camber...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts