GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Where's the van?!?!?!
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always liked utilizing the space above my bed, specifically for mountain bikes but it comes in handy with skis and other items often carried on sport racks.

My last truck had the pace-edwards cover that had special rails to use with Thule kits:
Cargo14.gif

And for those "just toss the stuff in the bed" people... that's not always possible :buttkick:, especially when the bed is full of wood and you already have a trailer packed with two quads and 4 other bikes:
Kens08003.gif

Kens08001.gif

So with that said... on my new truck I didn't get the Pace Edwards cover and went with the Bakflip HD cover. I therefore lost the ability to cary my bikes above my bed. But then I came across the Thule TK14 and TK13 adapters.

So I wanted to spread the word that there is another method to getting Thule racks above our beds for those who may be interested:

BikeRack2001.jpg

BikeRack004.jpg

BikeRack005.jpg

BikeRack007.jpg

June12009001.jpg

June12009004.jpg

Aaaaand, my favorite pic-whoring shot for now:

June12009002.jpg

I went with the TK14 kit... but would recommend going with the TK13, even though the TK13 is technically for fiberglass shell applications, it will work on our bed rails.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Very interesting. I usually just mount my front fork to my tool box to keep the bike standing in the bed but then again I dont have a cover and my bed is usually full of camping and fishing gear so adding a bike in there isnt too difficult

·
Where's the van?!?!?!
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the cover is key... i was using the fork mount method but the issue i had with my 2005 was that the bikes wouldn't fit easily in the 5.5' bed due to the space lost from the pace edwards compartment, and with my new truck i can't see out my back window because i had to put the cover up:

BikeRack4.gif

·
WANT LIFT!!!
3,241 Posts
Very nice. Great find man! I might look into that as it would come in handy for camping/kayaking trips.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That is a cool setup. But have you seen SC bikeracks? they mount in the bed, but the cool thing that they used to advertise is that you could mount a road bike next to a tricycle next to mountain bike next to a dirt bike. The front base also turned into a work station. Very cool but very expensive. One rack did it all. They don't advertise like that anymore but it is a cool setup. Here is the link

http://www.scbikeracks.com/detail.php

·
meow
15,748 Posts
So does the tule rack mount through the bedside? Do you still have your old cover/rack :secret: ???

·
Where's the van?!?!?!
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a cool setup. But have you seen SC bikeracks? they mount in the bed, but the cool thing that they used to advertise is that you could mount a road bike next to a tricycle next to mountain bike next to a dirt bike. The front base also turned into a work station. Very cool but very expensive. One rack did it all. They don't advertise like that anymore but it is a cool setup. Here is the link

http://www.scbikeracks.com/detail.php
Yeah, i have seen those. But scroll a few posts up you'll see a bike rack i made to use in the bed of my truck.

The whole purpose of my rack is to get the bikes above the bed, so the bed can be used for other gear... and most importantly, the cover can be closed to protect the contents from rain and still allow me to carry bikes (Thule has a rack system, but it doesnt work with bed covers)

So does the tule rack mount through the bedside? Do you still have your old cover/rack :secret: ???
Yup, they mount through the bed rails. When i take the rack off, there's little caps for the mounts... lemme see if i can find a pic..

I sold my old cover. The bike rack is the same one im using now, i just needed to buy the mounts for it. I also still have my fork-mount bike rack that can be used IN the bed.

·
Where's the van?!?!?!
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is basically what the mounts look like:

And this is what the covers look like, but mine are black:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts