GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a nbs with the custom classic tailgate handle relocator. the stock handle sticks out way too far. i was wondering if anyone had used an obs tailgate handle that sits flush with the tailgate. i want to try this but i dont have one around to use and dont have any schematics on how the obs tailgate handle pulls the rods together for tailgate opening. any help would be great.

·
Fresno State Bulldog
5,708 Posts
*BUMP* for ya, this might be a good idea, I'm going to be having my tailgate shaved next week and on my old truck the handle did stick out quite a bit and this may be a nice mod....good idea!! :D

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ sɟɯb
1,791 Posts
Like this??

I had the same idea for my 2005 Sierra. I shaved the tailgate on my 2001 Sierra and used the Sir Michaels kit. It worked great but the huge bulge of a plastic factory handle drove me crazy. It was always in the way for loading/unloading and took a beating. So we used an OBS handle and fab'd the mounting plate. I like this much better and it looks much better since I don't have a bed cover.

Tailgate_1.jpg

Tailgate_2.jpg

Tailgate_3.jpg

·
Fresno State Bulldog
5,708 Posts
Like this??

I had the same idea for my 2005 Sierra. I shaved the tailgate on my 2001 Sierra and used the Sir Michaels kit. It worked great but the huge bulge of a plastic factory handle drove me crazy. It was always in the way for loading/unloading and took a beating. So we used an OBS handle and fab'd the mounting plate. I like this much better and it looks much better since I don't have a bed cover.

Tailgate_1.jpg

Tailgate_2.jpg

Tailgate_3.jpg
That looks good....I wonder if the relocating kit for the 88-98s would work for those of us with no fab skills to make a mounting plate? :think:

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ sɟɯb
1,791 Posts
Good question but I bet it would. I can get some "finished" pics also.

Here is a picture of an Street Scene OBS relocator.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont see why you couldnt use the obs relocater since the tailgate opens the same way. guess it is off to the junk yard to find a good handle. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but was wondering if you ever completed the shave. Did the OBS relocator with an OBS handle work on the NBS? What mods to the handle or relocator if any were required? I'm getting ready to do mine this weekend and any info or pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
SD

·
CHIMICHANGA
3,275 Posts
ttt

·
Registered
323 Posts
Great idea for motorcycle owners. I was going to do the Esky style(door type) handle but this mod has me reconcidering.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ sɟɯb
1,791 Posts
Thats the tailgate I now have for sale in the "For Sale" section. The box/mount was custom fab but the handle is from an OBS. I liked it a lot better than when I had the bulky NBS handle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts