GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a roll of tint yesterday. So at some point I'm going to work on this. Its raining like crazy here. I smoked (pewter) my last set and they turned out good. I figured that if I go with film worst of all I could take it off if I get stopped by the cops. Didn't matter last time I was registered in a different state. VA usually doesn't mess with out of state drivers.

Did you take them off the truck to do them or leave them on? I've never applied tint so this is new for me. doesn't seem to hard just don't want to get pissed half way through it.:biggun:

·
AKA Sugar Plum
2,023 Posts
I ruined two sets i bought from Egay, the compound curves on the tails are a son of a bitch and even with a heat gun i couldn't get them right, i just gave up. I hope your luck is better than mine, and i've tinted a car before!

·
I am Tom Slick
6,613 Posts
leave them on the truck, they are going to be much easier to work on with them mounted to the truck then just loose on a work bench or something

just make sure you you have a spray bottle soapy water to keep the tails and tint wet and work the water and bubbles out w/ a squeegee

·
CHIMICHANGA
3,275 Posts
I tried this before with 99-02 tails a long time ago. Did not come out good.

·
Needs more black
1,600 Posts
Yeah I tried this on my truck and ended up through $20+ in the garbage! The stuff I had was junk!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hope it works out. They are step side tails. After reading it up if I fail I'm just going to paint them. Its a pain in the @$$ to find someone that sells VHT night shades without having to order it. I'm gonna work on it tomorrow, post pics up if it doesn't suck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would take the tails to a professional body shop and have them do it. The method that was used on mine was some clear coat with a little black in it. Came out really clean looking, and you can go as dark as you want depending on how much black you add....

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Ya the best way to do it is black and clear with a gun. My buddy did his on his dmax and came out clean. Black and clear and a lot of wetsanding pretty much

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, That sucked. Waste of money. Luckily my wife works at a ship yard that has a paint booth. Whenever I can get some time where I won't need my tails I'll have them done.

·
AKA Sugar Plum
2,023 Posts
You'll smack yourself in a few years when you have crappy looking niteshades on your tails, even with wetsanding and clear they'll fade and look like hell in a few years. Trust me i've been there and done that

1 - 16 of 16 Posts