GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well I have a working ford np205 that I plan on using for my sfa. Thing is I dont know how im going to make it work. I need to run it divorced unless I want to spend almost $1000 on adpaters. Does anyone know what I will have to do? Its not set up to run divorced, what is involved in converting it? Anyone know how to rebuild one? How involved is it to put a 2wd tailsaft on my 4l60e?
 

·
Buck Nekkid
Joined
·
50 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
Ok well I have a working ford np205 that I plan on using for my sfa. Thing is I dont know how im going to make it work. I need to run it divorced unless I want to spend almost $1000 on adpaters. Does anyone know what I will have to do? Its not set up to run divorced, what is involved in converting it? Anyone know how to rebuild one? How involved is it to put a 2wd tailsaft on my 4l60e?
If you can find a divorced Ford 205, that would be great. If not, if you can at least find the front input from a ford divorced 205, and swap it in. I have not looked that close at them to know if they will bolt in. Worst case, you will have to drill and tap some holes to secure the flange to the case. I'm not sure on the tranny. It probably involves finding the 2wd tailshaft and housing and putting them into your existing case. That will involve a complete tear down of your tranny. Wonder if you could put the VSS from a 88-91 205 from a Crew Cab onto the 205? The only drawback will be putting the 27 spline input into the Ford case. The ford has a larger bearing for the 31 spline input. However the 32 spline GM input is the same dia. So, of course it could be a great time to upgrade to a 4L80E :naughty: :superhack

It is only Money.
 

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but wouldnt the 4l80e ionvolve a complete computer reprogram? Also what does the vss do? I know very little about engine/trannys etc... Im a suspension person.
 

·
Buck Nekkid
Joined
·
50 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
but wouldnt the 4l80e ionvolve a complete computer reprogram? Also what does the vss do? I know very little about engine/trannys etc... Im a suspension person.
Yeah, you would have to change the comp. The VSS is the speed sensor that feeds the information to the comp, and your spedometer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,816 Posts
Definitly, and maybe consider lower gears in the diffs, since the 4l80e was designed with heavy duty type trucks with big engines in them that pound out lots of torque, not a small block.
 

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I went ahead and get a divorced one and a 2wd tailshaft what do I need to do with the vss? I know pretty much nothing about this, it just seems simpler to run it divorced and have a small shaft made. It shouldnt be to hard to make up a custom cross member I dont think.
 

·
Buck Nekkid
Joined
·
50 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
If I went ahead and get a divorced one and a 2wd tailshaft what do I need to do with the vss? I know pretty much nothing about this, it just seems simpler to run it divorced and have a small shaft made. It shouldnt be to hard to make up a custom cross member I dont think.
Should be able to run the vss w/the stock 2wd tailhousing. Just not sure what it will do when you are in low range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,518 Posts
Easiest option would be to look for a BW4401 case to run in your truck... It will bolt up to your tranny and they are 32 spline throughout and rather beefy... It also has the correct vss signal for your truck.

But what I would do is find a 4l80e and run that with the 205. In 91 4l80e's were mated to 205's stock, though they were gm cases... But wouldn't be hard to modify the adapter to work.

As for the converting the reg. 205 to divorced, nope. The case is completely different and you wouldn't have the seal for behind the yoke to seal out the gear oil properly. Divorced 205's are all over ebay. I'm not a fan of divorced stuff... More parts to break.
 

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think im going to run a 205 divorced since it will be cheap untill one day i have the money to upgrade toa 4l80e and a doubler of some sort.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top