GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the fox 2.0 reservoir shocks most everyone runs rebuildable? If so, do you have to send them in, or can they be done at home? Also, do you have to have them sent in to have the valving changed? Additionally, if rebuildable can they be taken apart (at home, with the right tools) far enough to have the individual parts re-coated/chromed/anodized/etc?

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice thanks grant. my little brother rebuilds his downhill shocks every few weeks and I can't imagine its too terribly different. Thinking it may be about time to pick up a set and mount my dual hoops.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
ive heard its really easy to rebuild them and the parts are cheap, you can change the valving on your own if your going to pull them apart, and yes you can take them apart enough to have them re-anodized/chromed/powdercoated.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perfect, I might actually look into getting a kinda beat (but mechanically fine) used set so I can at least install my hoops an then figure out exactly how I want them finished, I'd really like black chrome bodies an reservoirs....

Grant on a side note, did you paint the door handle seal white also or just not put it back in?

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's very easy to rebuild them. As for getting them valved, you can valve them yourself but I send mine to Sonny at Downhill Motorsports. He's a very nice guy and will go out of his way to help you, he's really good at what he does. I'd suggest into calling him up as he can get you the parts and discuss valving with you.

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts
Perfect, I might actually look into getting a kinda beat (but mechanically fine) used set so I can at least install my hoops an then figure out exactly how I want them finished, I'd really like black chrome bodies an reservoirs....

Grant on a side note, did you paint the door handle seal white also or just not put it back in?
Are you going to do the end's black with chrome bodies? Are you going to pick up that set that is on craigslist?

I just didn't put it back in. Thats what my painter friend said to do. I think the seal will crack off and start to look *******.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you going to do the end's black with chrome bodies? Are you going to pick up that set that is on craigslist?

I just didn't put it back in. Thats what my painter friend said to do. I think the seal will crack off and start to look *******.
Still debating. I'd really like to get my dual hoop setup mounted and functional (stock location shock contacts my passenger side UCA right now so the body is pretty dented).

I was thinking I really wanted the eyelets anodized blue like they come from Fox, and then the bodies either anodized black, black powdercoat, or black chromed. I am thinking about switching over all the chrome on my truck or color matched and/or black chrome so that would tie it in. I'd be fine just running some used nickel body shocks right now and then doing them how I want them later.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Im sticking with FOA ressy's out back to match my Coilovers

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts
does anyone (grant) know offhand what stroke length we need for the rear with 10-12" or so of lift? What size are you running out back?
it really depends on how you mount them. In the stock location? Or custom?

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
stock although switch them around wouldn't be too hard, could make some new mounting locations pretty easy. what size are you running in the position you have them in I think that looks pretty good.

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts
Mine are the 10" travels. I have about 9" of lift in the rear.

I could have used the 8.5" travel.

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
Mine are the 10" travels. I have about 9" of lift in the rear.

I could have used the 8.5" travel.
i have 12" travels with 4" lift in the back :crazy:

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Im sticking with FOA ressy's out back to match my Coilovers
and this is relevant how :think:
does anyone (grant) know offhand what stroke length we need for the rear with 10-12" or so of lift? What size are you running out back?
with my setup out back and stock mounts, i would have needed a 14" travel shock, i did custom mounts and swapped them to the same size and am using the 12" ones i had before

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sounds good, there is a pair of 12"s on CL also that I might pick up if the guy ever gets back to me, I can just relocate the mounts out back.

so many options, so little money :lol: one more year of school.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
and this is relevant how :think:
I meant to put something about cost as this would be a lower cost option and they charge less to rebuild...However relevancy is overrated :imo, thanks for pointing my deficiency though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.