GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
My 2013 is also rusting like that. My plan is to just get a few cans of black spray paint and give a few good coats before winter and then next summer I will clean up the frame and recoat it with rubber undercoating.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Damn-it! Im in Pennsylvania til december with my truck hate seeing shit like this

·
Registered
221 Posts
the frames arent painted, its a coating, and it flakes off. it also wipes off with brake clean, which is annoying when you do break work.

only real way to prevent it is clean off the whole frame and paint it.

·
2009 GMC Sierra ECSB Z71
4,791 Posts
Damn-it! Im in Pennsylvania til december with my truck hate seeing shit like this
Just run it through the car wash a couple days after it snows. Wait until the pavement is mostly clean. You will be fine.

·
HABS SUCK!!
1,833 Posts
Mine looks like that, going to spray the shit out of it and the underside with fluid film

·
Registered
366 Posts
Will you be painting the frame with any sort of top coat before you fluid film. I just recently found out about the stuff and reviews are good. Before I turn the frame into a oily mess tho I plan on scotch brite/sanding the bad spots and touching up with a frame paint. New England road treatment is hell.

·
HABS SUCK!!
1,833 Posts
Will you be painting the frame with any sort of top coat before you fluid film. I just recently found out about the stuff and reviews are good. Before I turn the frame into a oily mess tho I plan on scotch brite/sanding the bad spots and touching up with a frame paint. New England road treatment is hell.
Exactly what I plan on doing, I never heard of it until this year either.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You're not going to get that factory undercoating off with a scotch brite pad. I spent a long long time scraping, wire wheeling, and grinding the factory undercoating off the frame on my 2004. If you are going to go through that amount of effort (I took the entire bed off) you would be wise to use something like Por15 or Chassis Saver (what I used) to completely coat the metal and stop/convert the rust.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
You're not going to get that factory undercoating off with a scotch brite pad. I spent a long long time scraping, wire wheeling, and grinding the factory undercoating off the frame on my 2004. If you are going to go through that amount of effort (I took the entire bed off) you would be wise to use something like Por15 or Chassis Saver (what I used) to completely coat the metal and stop/convert the rust.
Is that the Eastwood Chassis Saver?

The coating they put on the NNBS trucks from the factory is garbage. See trucks in parking lots all the time with the coating peeling.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Is that the Eastwood Chassis Saver?

The coating they put on the NNBS trucks from the factory is garbage. See trucks in parking lots all the time with the coating peeling.
I believe so, I get it off of Amazon for $40 a quart it's great stuff.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm currently getting my '06 sprayed with Krown rust proofing.
https://www.krown.com/

My truck is already rusty....so I'm hoping this will slow things down...we'll see. This is only my second year. I'm going to use it for four years, then reevaluate if it does anything to slow existing rust.

Oil type treatments are messy....but I don't know what else to do! I'm seeing a BUNCH of 99-02 trucks in our local junkyards with busted frames from rustout.

To all the NNBS guys!!!! My friend works in a body shop in upstate NY and is seeing a TON of early rear wheel well rust out issues!!!!
He just replaced bed sides and wheel tubs on a 2010 Silverado! He said it looked like they were left at the bottom of the ocean!
The owner obviously lives on a dirt road...so that was probably the root cause...but other trucks are also having issues way sooner than expected.

He said its VERY important to pop out the tail lights to look and make sure that there is no trash/dirt/leaves caught between the wheelwell & bed side. Its also a good way to blast your Fluid Flim in that seam.

·
Widdlefawk
599 Posts
Krown did nothing on my 07 classic. Almost four hundred bones over 3 years. Made it greasy to work on, that's about it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Shit...haha... Well at least its well lubed underneath!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts