GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
GMC Owner
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This contains good news and some potentially upsetting news.

Well I took my truck in to the local stealership today to have them check out my wheel bearings. I was having some noise coming from up front and didnt know what it was. Well the wheel bearings are fine. Says they spin free and smooth and all the bolts are nice and tight. Thats the good news.

The potentially upsetting news is that the noise coming from the front end is most likely my differential. (DAMN 8.25 IFS DIFF!!) So i walk out to the garage and talk with the mechanic and we decided to pop the drain plug and check the fluid. Sure enough it smells like its been burning, and the fluid has some metal it in it, and the magnet on the drain plug has some metal shavings on it. NOT GOOD.

So i ended up not doing anything about it for now. i had them refill the diff, and i had them check out the rear just as a precaution. Rear end looks pretty good, but im sure if the front is going out, the rear isnt far behind. the truck has 100,000 miles on it.

Now i got some thinking to do. Should i pay to have the front diff rebuilt. Could be a number of things that have gone awry inside there. or should i just leave it and say fvck it?

obviously i cant just leave it.

But im having an idea. what if i go ahead and have the front end rebuilt, and whilst its all apart, toss in some 4.56, gears in there? Currently i only have 33" tires and 3.73 gears, but when these tires are done, i want to upgrade to 35's. I feel with the 33's i have lost a bit of power. Would it be worth it to upgrade to 4.56's? How are 4.56's with 33" tires?

oh yea and it cost 300 bucks for 5 quarts of axle fluid and labor....AWESOME.

Cliffs
-went to dealer to check wheel bearings
-wheel bearings fine, front diff is going.
-replace front diff with new gears or leave stock.
-was expensive.

·
Bad Luck is all i got.
1,483 Posts
Buy the parts for the front. Then have the front regeared immediately remove front driveshaft and then have the rear regeared as soon and money and time allow. Thats how i would personally attack the issue.

·
00Silverado
2,104 Posts
300 bucks??? 1. thats a rip off. 2. sorry to hear about yopur front diff. And it wouldnt hurt to upgrade gears.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,237 Posts
300 sounds like a total ripoff IMO! Stealerships are getting desperate to keep their heads above water these days. :nono:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Uh, light metal filings is pretty normal to me dude... gears mesh together and have minute wear over time... oil just lubes and cools them, but they do ride on each other.

Unless it's been low on fluid for 100k, I'm sure it's fine internally. Your noise could/probably be the steering shaft or lack of grease in all the Zerk fittings up there. 4x4s I think have about 13

285s and 4.56:1s are great, if you want 35s go 4.88:1

Axle fluid smells good, I use it as a cologne to attract the bitches.

·
GMC Owner
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this is more of a rotational noise. and i grease my zerks every couple of oil changes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a similar noise coming from the front drivers side. I thought is was the wheel bearings. I am told it is the differential. I have the 05 with a 5.3 engine with auto 4x4. What am I looking at to rebuilt the front differential? Any other ideas?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts