GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Hi Im Erica
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant get the fucking coil spring out. I have the spring compressor tool. I have the spindles off, everything else off and what not. I get the spring compressed and the tool looks like its under a lot of strees, but i cant get the spring out. I have the bottom of the shock unbolted also. The spring seems like its in there real good and i cant get it out!!!!!!! HELP ME:killer::killer:

·
__the real GODFATHER__
1,421 Posts
Sounds odd... After unbolting all that and removing shock You should be able to drop the lower control arm, and find yourself a pry-bar or piece of pipe to give you some leverage..

·
hotdogfarts
2,287 Posts
Is this the truck for your sig?

You don't even need a spring compressor tool, just make sure the truck is high enough and push down on the LCA and the spring will pop out, they are under "some" pressure on the NBS trucks but not enough to fly out and cause any harm, like italiano said, get a prybar or a big bar and just wedge it in and pop it out.

ps. your life will be easier if you just remove the shock all together.

·
Hi Im Erica
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the easiest way to take the shock out?? the bolts at the top and bottom?

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Your going lower? Ya just unbolt the shock and it will come out.

·
3,161 Posts
You have to remove the shock to get the spring out.

Put a jack under the lower control arm where the ball joint is.

Jack the lower arm up just enough to release the pressure on the shock. (The shock is what limits your droop travel).

Unbolt the two lower shock bolts and rotate the shock 90* so it can fit through the lower arm.

Lower the jack down and take out the jack.

Take the top shock nut off.

Drop the shock out the lower arm.

Step on the lower arm so it is as far down as it will go. Use a pry bar and pull the coil spring out. (Don't bother with the spring compressor tool)

·
__the real GODFATHER__
1,421 Posts
:LOL: Damn beat me to it while typing

What is the easiest way to take the shock out?? the bolts at the top and bottom?
yes sir.. bottom bolt and bolt on top will be found in engine bay, but be sure to hold nut with wrench and unbolt from top, then shock should drop out. Then drop arm using jack so you can manage speed and pop out spring

·
Hi Im Erica
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is where I am, I dont know where to pry the spring out and exactly how, it really feels like its still holding on to that LCA

IMG_1761.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I always just put the jack in the middle of the lower arm jack it up some to relieve pressure and un-bolt both lower arm bolts and pull them out. then i gently lower the jack SLOWLY till the spring just falls out.

·
3,161 Posts
Disconnect the sway bar end links!!!!!!!! That's why you can't get the coil out.

Get that nightmare of a spring compresser out of there too. Then use a large pry bar and the spring will come right out.

Don't take out the lower control arm bolts. That is not necessary.

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
now i have a question for you... how did you fit a 15" mojo in your ext cab?

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
No back seat and a big ass custom box, rapped in vinyl to match the inside.
damnit... thats what i thought.:crazy:
im trying to keep the back seat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts