GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know how to do this mod? is it easy? any kind of write ups on how to do it?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any other ideas?

·
Registered
129 Posts
There's some guys on FSC that have used Buick hinges to get a front flipping hood...

http://rides.webshots.com/album/527245753VjFMYi?start=60
This is my truck that is posted in the link above.

Trust me when I say that it is VERY easy to do. It's a lot easier to do it on an NBS than an OBS. You don't need to fabricate anything. It costed me less than $50 to do this mod. Go to the junkyard and look for an 87-90 Buick LeSabre and take the hood hinge. You do not need to remove the hood to do this mod and I did this alone with no help from anyone else.

Go to the hardware store and buy a tube that will slip over the existing Buick hinge because you WILL have to cut the hinge support bar in half and then have it welded. If you don't weld it the hood will wiggle from side to side when you try to close it. I had mine tack welded after I had everything installed.

You WILL have to move over your electrical center, coolant reservoir, lower your stock airbox (Just cut the bottom out. If you have an aftermarket intake this won't be an issue) and twist your mass air flow sensor so it doesn't touch the bar. All this must be done prior so the hinge will clear.

Once you've done this, take one side of the hinge and mount it on the fender lip as close the the radiator support as possible and mark the holes to be drilled. Do the same for the other side.

Now close the hood on top of the hinge and make sure the top part of the Buick hinge is sitting flat against the hood and then take a marker and mark out the area where the holes are going to be drilled for the hinge. Mind you. the hole on the Buick hinge is a big square hole so there will be a lot of room for error in drilling the hole. I used a speednut and a huge washer on the bolt to cover the square hole.

Once you're comfortable with where you've drilled the holes, remove the hood springs and use a pole of some sort to hold up the hood. Remove the bolts from hinge which is hiding underneath the little rubber flap at the windshield cowl and let the hood rest in the open position unbolted.

When you've done that lower the hood onto the Buick hinge and put the bolts in but do not tighten it all the way. Just tighten them enough. Now pull the whole hood forward and down. BTW the hood will touch the bumper.

Now screw the original bolt back into the part where the rear hinge goes underneath the rubbler flap. You can put a small washer on it if you like to make it stick out a bit further. This bolt will now act as a latch for the rear of the hood.

Now look at the rear hood hinge on the hood. You'll notice a circle at the end of it where the bolt goes through at the base of the windshield. Take a saw or dremel and cut a quarter of it out because that part will slide over the bolt at the base of the windshield.

When that is done, slowly guide the hood back onto the bolt and make sure it catches. If all is good then you can tighten down the Buick hinges and close the hood normally.

Just be careful opening and closing the hood until you can get the bar tack welded in place. Once it's welded you won't have to worry about the hood shaking around when you open it.

Now what I did to prevent the hood from touching the bumper is I removed the rubber stoppers on the Buick hinge and used a bolt and a couple of nuts so I can adjust the opening angle of the hood. My hood now sits about 3 - 4 inches away from the bumper.

Feel free to ask me any more questions.

Hmmmm...maybe I should just input some comments in those pics on webshots???:hmm:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pics will help me get a better idea...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was hoping for pics of like the fender where u mounted up close and like everything moved...and like installtion pics...sorry should have clarified

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't have super up close pics of the installation but the pictures do give you an idea of how everything is mounted.

I'll tell you though that once you have that Buick hinge in your hand you will get the idea of how it's supposed to mount if you look at my pics.

Trust me, it's not that hard to do and I'm not a fabricator or body man. My mechanical skills are limited.

People think I've spent hundreds of dollars having some shop do this mod for me and they're shocked to learn that I did it in my own driveway in a couple of hours with a few simple hand tools, some bolts and some speed nuts.

This mod by far is the best one I've ever done and I plan on doing the same thing to my 86 Grand Prix using the same Buick hinge setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts