GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Silverado 1500 4wd, bearing went out in the front hub assembly. I have the 3 bolts out that hold the assembly, the axle slides on the spines in the hub, but the hub is froze/rusted and won't budge. Any ideas on how to get it out?

·
METTALIKATT
4,922 Posts
Big hammer, hit it harder.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
METTALIKATT
4,922 Posts
Add penetrating oil, try again. Add fire, try again

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Big ass hammer and a cold chisel. Last one I did took over 45 min of pounding.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Big ass hammer and a cold chisel. Last one I did took over 45 min of pounding.
got it! Heat and beat/chisel.
When the assembly came out so did a torn up O ring. Dont know where it came from. Service manual mentions it on a 2500 model, I have a 1500. I called gm parts to order a new disk shield since I destroyed it when removing the hub. I asked about the O ring and he said not to worry about it??

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
don't remember any 0-rings in there... might have came out of your hub assy. Get a Timken replacement. and put some anti-size behind the mating surfaces.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help. One last question.... I hope. On tightening the bolts that hold the hub to the steering knuckle, 133 ft/lbs. I can hardly get a socket on the bottom 2 and only a wrench on the top. How am I suppose to torque those to the proper spec? I can get a wrench on them and use a pipe to get them tight. That's how I had to loosen them.

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Thanks for all the help. One last question.... I hope. On tightening the bolts that hold the hub to the steering knuckle, 133 ft/lbs. I can hardly get a socket on the bottom 2 and only a wrench on the top. How am I suppose to torque those to the proper spec? I can get a wrench on them and use a pipe to get them tight. That's how I had to loosen them.
Never toruqed mine, put them in there nice and tight. Golden

1 - 11 of 11 Posts