GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Dude
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading a few posts, I do believe that my Rt hub is finally giving out. I've been hearing noises coming from the right side of the truck, especially when going around a bend to the left. The noise echoes off the guardrail and it sounds like a brake squeal. I jacked up the truck earlier and spun the front wheels, no strange noises there, but the rotors/pads are only about 6 months old. I grabbed the right tire at 12 and 6 and it rocked pretty good, probably 4 or 5/32nds, while the left side had no movement. Is my assumption correct? They are the original hubs with 86,xxx miles on them. I've mostly read that they are junk, so I'm pretty lucky they've lasted this long.

·
NVG-149 FTW!
501 Posts
After reading a few posts, I do believe that my Rt hub is finally giving out. I've been hearing noises coming from the right side of the truck, especially when going around a bend to the left. The noise echoes off the guardrail and it sounds like a brake squeal. I jacked up the truck earlier and spun the front wheels, no strange noises there, but the rotors/pads are only about 6 months old. I grabbed the right tire at 12 and 6 and it rocked pretty good, probably 4 or 5/32nds, while the left side had no movement. Is my assumption correct? They are the original hubs with 86,xxx miles on them. I've mostly read that they are junk, so I'm pretty lucky they've lasted this long.
Yea if you have ANY movement at all (top to bottom) the hub needs to be replaced. Don't wait to long, those chase's will eventually separate and that wheel will fly right off the truck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
yup replace it asap. there not to difficult and only around 120$ for the part i believe

·
The Dude
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used a 36mm socket to do mine last weekend.
Cool, I borrowed one from a friend. Did you use air tools or not? My only other concern is the torque on the axle nut. My torque wrench only goes to 100 ft/lbs and I believe it's higher than that. Truth be told, when a mechanic at a garage does the job, they probably just spin it back on with the impact and call it good.

·
DisgruntleD
3,822 Posts
Cool, I borrowed one from a friend. Did you use air tools or not? My only other concern is the torque on the axle nut. My torque wrench only goes to 100 ft/lbs and I believe it's higher than that. Truth be told, when a mechanic at a garage does the job, they probably just spin it back on with the impact and call it good.
Nope, no air tools.

I had the spec on it last time I did mine, I think it's 135 ft-lbs or something around that, this time around, I just tightened it with my breaker bar real good and called that acceptable.

And I agree, a mechanic going it probably hits it with the impact and slap everything back together.

·
The Dude
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also check upper ball joint, that could be the problem.
Yeah, I gotta check ball joints too. I thought you could check those by grabbing the wheel at 6 and 12 as well, but the rocking motion that I get seems more like it is a bad bearing since it is pivoting on it's horizontal axis. The only way I know for sure to diagnose a ball joint is to load the control arm, jack up the truck and pry up under the tire and watch for any movement in the joints.

·
The Dude
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I replaced the hub on Thursday and all the strange noises I was getting are gone. Even the clunking noise that I associated with the steering or suspension have disappeared. Pretty easy job once I got the hub to free itself from the spindle. Alot of Aerokroil and a sledge hammer got 'er done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts