GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw that rcv makes a upgraded cv axle for lifted trucks. Well I call up rcv and they say it's only to help with angles and isn't to be used for offroad. He said he wasnt going to be supporting these axles anymore and have NO warranty at 495 a side. So there goes that idea. Who else makes some upgraded cv's? Also I seen that someone makes adapters to fit a 2500 axle on 1500. What's the benifits? Strength, longer, more angles?

·
Suburbanite
592 Posts
I saw that rcv makes a upgraded cv axle for lifted trucks. Well I call up rcv and they say it's only to help with angles and isn't to be used for offroad. He said he wasnt going to be supporting these axles anymore and have NO warranty at 495 a side. So there goes that idea. Who else makes some upgraded cv's? Also I seen that someone makes adapters to fit a 2500 axle on 1500. What's the benifits? Strength, longer, more angles?
If you have any questions, let me know.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/offroad/254772-3-4-ton-cvs-1-2-ton-nbs.html

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
personally would just replace the stockers with lifetime replacements. You are just strengthening one part and exposing another weakpoint in the front axle. What are you trying to do? Get better angles?

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
personally would just replace the stockers with lifetime replacements. You are just strengthening one part and exposing another weakpoint in the front axle. What are you trying to do? Get better angles?
Exactly. Fuck spending over $1000 on shafts that will just cause your diff to explode. Just go buy replacements with a lifetime warranty and replace em when they break.

·
Suburbanite
592 Posts
Lol. I wasn't going to mention that upgrading stronger shafts just means instead of breaking a part that takes an hour to swap, your are shearing teeth off the ring and pinion/6-7 hour job.
Not necessarily, The biggest problem with 1500 CV's is they have a small weak tripot joint and once you put a larger tire or extend the joint out to the end of the housing they break. Just because you use a stronger CV it doesn't mean your going to blow up your diff unless you beat on the truck. I've sold a lot of these adapters with 3/4 ton CV's and have never had anyone blow up their diff because of that. A 3/4 ton CV is stronger than a 1/2 ton, but it's not indestructable. The main reason these adapters work is that the tripot joint is larger and stronger which makes it a lot more angle tolerant than a 1/2 ton CV.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For about 2000 find a f350 front end and do a straight axel conversion solves all axel problems and You can find the Kit on extreme 4 x 4.com

·
Suburbanite
592 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to jack your thread but I have a 1995 gmc sierra 4x4 lifted 6 inches on 33s and rebuilt the front diff and would like to upgrade the cv axles as well. Can I also swap in the 08 ones? If not what's the recommendations

·
Suburbanite
592 Posts
Sorry to jack your thread but I have a 1995 gmc sierra 4x4 lifted 6 inches on 33s and rebuilt the front diff and would like to upgrade the cv axles as well. Can I also swap in the 08 ones? If not what's the recommendations
Are you referring to the 08+ 1500 CV's or the 08 2500/3500CV's?

·
Suburbanite
592 Posts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts