GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what style of overflow tank is everyone using when tubbing the front out.. ive seen some billet and aluminum overflow tanks i just cant remember the brand.. its for a 03 chevy.. any suggestions?>

·
layin big rubber
1,456 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm using my factory one
where is it mounted at?? i really want something smaller i want to try and open up the engine compartment.. i plan on doing my intake like the build up in the new truckin mag.. using 4 in exaust pipe.. it will really open up where the godzilla stock air filter is..

DSC01586.jpg

·
Registered
384 Posts
Arron,
You can get a nice slim Billet tank for the overflow.
They look nice, are relatively iinexpensive, fit in narrower spaces, and are easy to install. I recall one recently for sale on one of the gm truck boards made by Billet Specialties. Very nice units, the aluminum will displace heat more readily as well.

·
lolo driver
161 Posts
does it have provisions for all of the hose locations that our stockers do?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Most of them will work. Just splice your hoses together. the top hose is just an overflow tube. If your engine gets too hot, too much water in the system, etc. it will exit that tube onto the ground. the other 2 tubes should be able to be spliced together. Most of the after market overflow tanks have atleast 2 fittings on them and the actual overflow hose is optional. like I said if you do not overfill it will not need to boil over on you.

·
concrete redneck
1,923 Posts
BILLET FOR ME
DSCF1725.jpg

·
Negative Camber
369 Posts
I found an aluminum one at a local hotrod shop. The one I have is pretty common on hotrods, streetrods, etc. I had one of the slim round ones, but had problems. You have to have a pressurized radiator cap on the newer engines to allow the system to vent.

HPIM3083.jpg

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats what i was looking for. thanks.. what did you do with the main radiator hose that splits to the stock overflow tank thats where im a little confised..

·
Negative Camber
369 Posts
honestly I'll have to look at it when the truck is back home next week. Right now its in the shop for a few little things. I'll be there monday afternoon though to work on it and I'll take a look at it for ya.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
honestly I'll have to look at it when the truck is back home next week. Right now its in the shop for a few little things. I'll be there monday afternoon though to work on it and I'll take a look at it for ya.
thanks man i appreciate it. im tryin to clean up the little things before gator drag

·
Registered
140 Posts
For you guys that have used an aftermarket overflow tank, what did you do about the stock low coolant sensor?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I found an aluminum one at a local hotrod shop. The one I have is pretty common on hotrods, streetrods, etc. I had one of the slim round ones, but had problems. You have to have a pressurized radiator cap on the newer engines to allow the system to vent.

HPIM3083.jpg
I'm looking at one like this also, and wonder the same question about the lower hose.

Also what do you guys so to bypass the sensor?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts