GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got my bags in the front today .. the Air Ride instructions leave a lot to be desired .. especially how much to trim around the bag, we probably did more than we needed to but it wasn't like any of it was really doing anything other than getting in the way.

When my truck was lowered with dropped coils it was aligned to the max and still has a slight negative camber. When we put the Air Ride control arms on we left the adjusters (on the upper arms) where they were and put it all back together, I then had a bad case of positive camber .. we ended up having to move the adjuster all the way around and then the tires were pretty much in line. Does anyone else have the control arms, have they been a problem?

I'm going to have to call Air Ride tomorrow as I have some questions about this and a few other things. I'm happy over all, it laid out pretty good on the factory tires and wheels ... my tires bottomed out on the top of my fenderwells before the frame got down to the pavement, but it was probably 1 to 1 1/2 inches away. When I air up though (above ride height), the bad case of positive camber comes back .. looks funny. I've seen some other trucks aired way up and didn't notice this with them. Is it just me?

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
post some pics. sounds right to me. i thought with the coolride there was NOTHING to cut into. do you have pics of what you had to cut?

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lowred said:
post some pics. sounds right to me. i thought with the coolride there was NOTHING to cut into. do you have pics of what you had to cut?
I don't have many pictures as while we were doing it my hands were so greasy I didn't want to mess up my camera, and by the time we were done it was dark. Here's one of the few pictures I did take though. Tony at Air Ride told me we would have to cut some of both sides of the bag, and that's what we did .. this is the drivers side and on the front it was just some piece of metal near the spring cup in the way, and on the back it was the corner of the bump stop bracket. We still were able to install the bump stop in the factory location. Even with the cutting, I could put the truck back to factory without any complications.

The hardest part was drilling out the 3 holes for the upper shock bracket, you really need a right angle air drill to do it as the brake lines and steering are really in the way.

Here's the upper and lower control arm in place, the bag and cup were about to be put in.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
looks really good. as long as it can go back to stock if you need to. that is a VERY desirable quality in a bag setup. it all looks good to me. what kinda air management system are you planning on getting, and what are you doing until then?

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lowred said:
looks really good. as long as it can go back to stock if you need to. that is a VERY desirable quality in a bag setup. it all looks good to me. what kinda air management system are you planning on getting, and what are you doing until then?
Well since this is my daily driver reliability is important to me, that's why I went Air Ride .. I know I could have went different and paid less though but I didn't want headaches, so I hope I made the right choice. So I'm also looking at Air Ride for the Air Management. Obviously they have he Ride Pro and Big Red systems. 2-way or 4-way ... all of it expensive, lol.

I was just going to do a manual fill for now, but I found out that isn't as easy as it sounded. I have a little portable shop compressor and it couldn't lift my truck back up. I have a nice shop compressor but haven't gotten 220 power to our new shop yet so I can't use it yet. It now amazes me how the onboard systems can do it .. whats the main component of a compressor to be able to pickup, the cfm it puts out?

Might be ordering my Air Management system quick like! :doh2:

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BaggedC10 said:
02Silverado has the Cool-Ride kit w/ control arms and his truck has +++ camber when aired up too. It's normal.....:cool:
Thanks, I knew the higher you went the more positive camber you'd get .. but it wasn't like I had my truck sitting sky high either ... we measured from the ground to the fenderwell and it was at 31 inches ... my truck with the drop coils sat 29 inches fenderwell to ground and the tires had a little negative camber. Maybe these control arms are set to have your ride height really really low, and I wasn't really wanting to set ride height quite that low, bad roads around here and when my wheels and tires get here in a few weeks it's going to set me down even a little more. It's crossed my mind to maybe ditch the upper control arms and put the stocks back in, I'm going to play with tweaking the suspension some more though.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have a noticible amount of pos camber when mines aired all the way up, ofcourse mines all factory upfront. You didn't have to cut or bend this part (where the spring was at) for the bag not to rub? Your front end setup is exactly what I would love to have.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
way2hi said:
I can't get the pic to upload..... Let me try again.
We didn't touch any of that up there, just the one corner ... I talked to Darren at Air Ride today and he helped me out ... I was thinking ride height would be about 2 inches lower than stock, but with the stuff I have it will be 3-4 inches .. which is fine, just means I need my air system now in order to be able to clear obstacles. He said aired up it would be right at or a little under stock, so my question is how do some of you get up so high in the front, is it different (better) bags or is it more compressors and tanks = more pressure.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I just ordered my 2-way Ride Pro system, when I do the back I will upgrade it to a 4-way. I upgraded to the white face gauges to match my speedo and since the 4-way comes with a 3 gallon tank and the 2-way a 2 gallon I went ahead and upgraded that too.

Looks like I'll have some switches to hit sooner than I thought :naughty:

·
Registered
559 Posts
that three gallon is not gonna be much,when i first bagged the front of my truck i had a six gallon and a 145 psi pressure switch. i could just barely get it to my ride height with one fill of the tank, when you do the back you a definetly gonna have to get another three gallon at least. post some pics, wanna see how it looks

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
02chevy said:
that three gallon is not gonna be much,when i first bagged the front of my truck i had a six gallon and a 145 psi pressure switch. i could just barely get it to my ride height with one fill of the tank, when you do the back you a definetly gonna have to get another three gallon at least. post some pics, wanna see how it looks
Really?, I talked to Tony today and he said it would definately lift my truck front and back .. well if it doesn't lift the truck I'll definately be giving them a call back.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
most guys that run electic compressors run 3 5 or 7 gallon tanks. If i open my switches to let the engine driven compressor pump up my bags, it takes a hell of a long time to do, and it has a rediculously high CFM at idle.

·
Registered
559 Posts
yeah dude check it out and see what it does, but i know when i had that little pressure switch and the 6 gallon, it lifted slow, and made the compressor run immediatly after which is gonna, in time, lead to blown compressors, which most of us go through. but it depends on what u want. i still have the 6 but with an MIC 185 pressure switch. It raises faster and im able to get more air outta one fill of the compressor. 2k1slvrdo, do u have an air commander?

·
Registered
559 Posts
i wanna switch to an air commander and add another 6 gallon cuz this is my second viair 450 in a year and its becoming a pain in the ass

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe I should just put my stock springs back in and forget it then, you guys got me worried that I want even have enough air to pick my truck up :bawl:

All I really wanted is for my truck to be low, ride better than it did before and be able to get over obstacles ..... my truck gets driven to and from to work, and then I occasionanly go to car shows. It's not like I go out crusin' with it it every night. I'm a semi old fart :jawdrop:

As much as I'd like to have a truck I could hit the switches all day long I know that's not what I really need right now and I wasn't trying to build that ... I figure later down the road when I pay the truck off and get me another vehicle to go back and forth to work I might beef up the system with more tanks and compressors.

·
Registered
559 Posts
im just speaking from personal experience,if the guy said that it will work,then it should. i think he is tellin the truth cuz the correct way to bullshit a customer is to try to get them to get the most advanced system with the most shit and he didnt try to do that,so i think u should be ok,but in my opinion u should have the air supply hooked up first,bags dont take long to put in,gravity brings it down but u need the air to bring that rig back up

1 - 20 of 29 Posts