GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking the other day at the FTS website and came across their new 10" Spindle Kit for 07-13 and 14-15 half ton GM trucks. What I was really wondering was is it similar to my Fabtech? I've currently got my Fabtech with Bilsteins set at 9" and a small 0.5" bottom strut spacer. But the ride is just stiff and I'd like to look at the 10" FTS spindle kit with Bilsteins or coilovers to eventually run 37's on my 22x14's. And no I don't want a 3" body lift. I was wondering if the new 10" FTS spindle kit was basically just a deeper front cradle/crossmember drop of 10" versus my 7.75" Fabtech and that the FTS 10" kit came with longer cast spindles/knockles? Plus the other amenities for the front like appropriate sway bar and differential drop lengths? Just curious as to what the kit really is compared to their original 10" offering which I thought used regular half ton knuckles. Plus I haven't seen many trucks with that new 10" spindle kit. Any insight would be greatly appreciated guys

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is a new 10" cast spindle with all the amenities. You can even crank it to 12 inches...
I'm assuming if I was to crank it to 12" it would probably still ride just as stiff as my Fabtech with Bilsteins adjusted/cranked to 9" correct? Wouldn't the coil springs still be just as compressed and as limited in travel as mine are now right?

·
OG GMFS Member
2,963 Posts
I'm assuming if I was to crank it to 12" it would probably still ride just as stiff as my Fabtech with Bilsteins adjusted/cranked to 9" correct? Wouldn't the coil springs still be just as compressed and as limited in travel as mine are now right?
Yes it will probably ride rougher cranked up. But the kit does lift the truck 10 inches with upward adjustability.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Like Erik said, the new kit will drop the diff a full 10" (knuckles are longer as well as all other drops). You could set the truck at 11", gain 1.5" of lift, and the ride "should" be a little better than now because you aren't stretching the kit past its limits.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nudez of Wifey and I'll answer the questions
She deleted what she sent me when she got a hold of my phone one day and found them. Plus I never backed it up with the cloud :( #nobuenofiles

Yes it will probably ride rougher cranked up. But the kit does lift the truck 10 inches with upward adjustability.
Alright yea that's more or less what I was really after. Does the 10" FTS Spindle kit increase the front track width to keep the same angles/geometry between the UCA, LCA & spindle/knuckle as the smaller 7" kits from FTS/Fabtech/McGaughy's? If you ever notice it seems there's always like an 80-85 degree interior angle between the mounting point to the chassis on the crossmember for the upper bolts of the kits and the lower mounting point on the crossmember for the LCA and how it all comes together. If you think about it for a minute and just basic geometry of creating "similar triangles" between the 7" & 10" kits mounting points with the same interior angles for those triangles, wouldn't that widen the overall track width of each side by say like a 1/4" to 1/2" right? When I actually did the math to compare the difference in widths between the 7.75" (for those aforementioned 7" kits) and the 10" drop for a 10" kit, it came out to about 5/16" additional width on each side if you're keeping the same angle between mounting points as the 7" kits. I know it's not something easily noticeable but I kinda wanted to check the numbers to make sure if I ran 22x14's with 37's it wouldn't cause some serious unforeseen scrubbing issues lol

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like Erik said, the new kit will drop the diff a full 10" (knuckles are longer as well as all other drops). You could set the truck at 11", gain 1.5" of lift, and the ride "should" be a little better than now because you aren't stretching the kit past its limits.
Yea that's what I was kinda hoping for. Would 10" or 10.5" of suspension lift be enough potentially to clear 37's on 22x14's? Just trying to get the softest ride quality for that wheel & tire setup and I know it's not going to ride as plush as a setup with less wheel width & more tire sidewall. Reason that I ask is that a friend of mine uses to have a 2011 1500 Z71 with his FTS kit set at 12" to accommodate 38x15.5 Mickey Thompson MTZ's with 20x12 chrome rockstars (yes gay wheels I know). I'm just wondering if me running 37's stretched on 22x14's will fit potentially?

·
i like interco
3,269 Posts
Well since you all busted up. I think you'll fit your shoe setup at that height. If you're worried about the ride, coilovers are always in the cards for improving ride quality. I remember a member on here (http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215714 ) That ran a normal full drop 10 but his was on x12s and didn't rub.

·
can't lose on 22z
1,442 Posts
it will make the track width wider than the 7-9.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well since you all busted up. I think you'll fit your shoe setup at that height. If you're worried about the ride, coilovers are always in the cards for improving ride quality. I remember a member on here (http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215714 ) That ran a normal full drop 10 but his was on x12s and didn't rub.
thanks man i had seen that truck before but never the actual thread on the build. we've been kicked off our server several times today so it's nice to get to read thru his build thread

it will make the track width wider than the 7-9.
thanks for the clarification. i couldn't see how else it would retain the same geometry and not widen the track width. i wonder if that means the CV axle spacers are cut wider as well to allow for the wider track width on the knuckles or if FTS and other brands like Cognito just make a "one size fits all" CV axle spacer?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts