GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to finally swap out my factory tank with a fuel cell to meet tech inspection for some future events I will be at. I have not really worked with the fuel system on my truck much, and its currently 2500 miles away so I can't go poking around it.

The requirements of the cell are:

"Safety fuel cells shall consist of a bladder enclosed in a smooth-skinned container. The container shall be constructed of 20 gauge steel, 0.060” aluminum or 0.125” Marlex. Magnesium is strictly prohibited. Container must be securely attached to vehicle with bolts or steel straps. All fittings must be built into the container skin and bonded to the container skin as an
integral part of the tank or mechanically sealed by a ring and counter-ring system by either flat joint or an O-ring. Internal baffling is mandatory in all fuel cells. Foam is an acceptable form of internal baffling.
Bladder construction shall be of nylon or Dacron woven fabric impregnated and coated with a fuel resistant elastomer. Rotary molded polymer cells are acceptable when encapsulated in a container constructed of 20 ga. Steel or 0.060” aluminum."

I am also going to have to instal cut off valves that meet the following specs:

"Design and installation of fuel tank and related components (plumbing)
must prevent fuel escaping from fuel pickups, fuel lines, fuel fillers and fuel vents if the vehicle is partially or totally inverted. Fuel isolation valves that facilitate isolation of the fuel tank from the fuel supply line, fuel return line, and fuel vent line are required. Ball valves, or a combination of ball valve
and one-way check valve, located at the supply, return, and vent line are acceptable. Fuel isolation valves shall be located such that, with the vehicle in any position, they may be rapidly closed to restrict the continuous flow of fuel onto the ground in the event of a fuel line failure"

I have no issues removing the evap system, in fact it would be preferable. I would like to continue to use the factory gauge. Other than that I am pretty open to suggestions. It sounds like at the very least I will need new lines and a cell. Probably a pump as well unless I had a custom cell made.

Has anyone installed one of the off the shelf cells such as a Jaz or RCI cell? What did you do for lines? Is it as simple as splicing in the new pump to your existing wiring?

Any help would be great!

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to follow up my question with some of my own research.

I am leaning towards a a plastic roto-molded cell in an aluminum enclosure by goatbuilt:
http://goatbuilt.com/shop/fuel-tank/ibex-fuel-tank-kits/

I would run alltechs fuel baffles:
http://www.alltechmotorsports.com/accessories.html

This will allow me to use my factory sending unit. I would re-do my lines using various fragola fittings and fuel line to include shut off valves mounted to a panel right by the fuel cell. This should pass Ultra 4 tech and most importantly, be a very safe option for my normal trail use.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts