GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have yet to track down the cause of it but I wanted to post just incase this has happend to some of you so I could save myself some time. For some odd reason every so often my Fuel gauge will drop to empty and my message center will display Low Fuel. I cant figure out what is causing it and it doesnt seem to be affecting anything but it sure is annoying. Hope you guys can help. Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'01 Silverado Norm. Cab StepSide with the 5.3L V8. It has 47,000 Miles on it and besides this little prob everything else seems perfect. Just got it today btw.

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
Yes, its the sending unit. My oo sierra has the same problem. be prepared for the price though if is not under warrenty, cause the fuel pump and sending unit are one piece.

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
It's a common problem. Mine does it also. I'm just to lazy to yank the tank and fix it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well im under a 30 day dealer warrenty on top of my GM Protection Plan (36/24) so I should be alright. Unless it messes up something else I may just leave it alone. I love my truck. Feels good going down the road :)

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
I got my truck used from the dealer last Sept. It came with a 90 day 3000 mile warrenty. I noticed the problem after about 2 days, but the dealer said they could never get it to repeat the problem. I took it to them about 5 times. It wasn't until I started coming to these boards that I found out that alot of nbs trucks have the same problem. It's never caused a problem other than the gauge dropping to "E" for a few minutes.

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
Push the issue HARD! I went to Kragen today to get a new pump. $385.00. The Dealer wanted $400.00 for it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tempero, did you ever get this problem fixed? I'm having the same problem with my 2000 Sierra. Mine's still under extended warranty and I'm wondering if it's covered.

·
Registered
343 Posts
my dad's sierra has the SAME problem. When it's > than 1/2 full it's always at zero/bobbing all over the place. Took it too the dealer and yea they have to replace the whole thing, like $500 :flame:

·
Registered
334 Posts
That just happened to my 2000 lik 2 months ago. Don't let them replace just the sending unit. On 00' and up GM told me you have to replace the whole pump. Something to do with the sending units having falty connection to the pump. Really easy to fix though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts