GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I recently replaced my fuel pump on my 2003 silverado for the 2nd time.

I removed the bed and accessed it from the top.
Installation went w no issues and now the truck runs great. However, I dropped down from 14-15 mpg to 12-13 with the new pump. Also, every time I fill the tank--the cabin REAKS of gasoline. Only recently did i realize that after I fill up I leak a few big drops of gasoline on the floor.
I could care less about my MPG at this point, my concern is that if someone tosses a cigarette under my truck, it wont be good news.
Is this common with fuel pump replacements? Its hard to see where the leak is bc everything is soaked w gas. Now, it seems to have gotten worst bc when you just walk by it--you can smell gasoline. NOT GOOD.

Just want to get a second opinion before I remove the damn bed and retrace all my steps this weekend..

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Problem resolved
turns out the ring that holds the fuel pump in place had gotten loose.

Now that the pump is sealed in its place, no more fuel is leaking out.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. You talking about the locking ring that holds the sending unit assembly in place?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How i found it..
IMAG1776_zps47160f94.jpg

after some banging on that metal ring, i taped that shit up so it wont come off again, plus to keep away moisture I used some crazy thick tape.
IMAG1779_zpsa12f0970.jpg

Lesson learned, If you replace the fuel pump--make sure that metal ring has absolutely no play.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
How i found it..

Lesson learned, If you replace the fuel pump--make sure that metal ring has absolutely no play.
That's ghetto, remove tape. not needed.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Remove the tape. It won't come off when locked down with proper pressure and you don't want the tape to act as a blanket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts