GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tying to change my fuel pump in a 99 Reg Cab and ran into a few problems. We already took off the bed for easier access so thats out of the way. Anyways do I spin the ring to what looks like the free position? Second the metal ring around the fuel pump is rusted through almost, has anyone encountered this? Third, how did you take off your fuel fittings, I have a tool from autozone but it doesn't fit. Any advice would be great.

·
I'm on a mission
794 Posts
hammer+screwdriver+to the left=loosen ring..bang away and hope for the best, just be careful...if you bought the metal release tool, take it back and get the plastic one. good luck

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see, I did buy the metal one, they had the plastic ones too, I'll get them tomorrow. When I was pounding the ring, I kept chipping the metal because it was so rusty, I was just worried that by the time I get it out there will be nothing left of the ring.

·
I'm on a mission
794 Posts
it can be a pain when they're rusty, just be patient. i have found the plastic release tools work better
if the ring is real bad you may have to replace it. best of luck

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Be sure to melt a wax toilet ring and pour the molten wax over the area where this round metal ring is. The wax keeps it from rustig for next time.

peace
Hogg

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Use something that will NOT spark. :imo A brass punch comes to mind

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts
On my 2002, we didn't need any of the release fittings. Everything just unplugged.

-bZj

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got it off the next day after spaying a lot of WD40 on it and destroying the ring. One trip to the dealership and I'm good to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts