GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's '99 Chevy Tahoe has 200k on the odo and I think the fuel pump is on it's way out. Anyone ever done one themselves? I know I'm going to have to drop the tank. Any tips? I bought a Delphi unit with the sending unit and wiring harness. I also picked up a new filter and a specialty tool to assist with the fuel lines. Anyone else out there that has any tips for a rookie. I did the in tank pump on my IROC, but never on our Tahoe. Thanks in advance,
Daniel Umphenour

·
00Silverado
2,104 Posts
once you get everything disconnected and tank dropped, make sure you clean as much dirt off the top of the tank. when you take the pump out that shit will drop in. a quick disconnect tool helps with the lines also.

·
JUGS Racing
1,199 Posts
Easy. The tank strap bolts are on the framrail, thank god. Just drop it till it hits the crossmember and then slide it back and it'll be on the ground. Then when you go to put it back just put the front on the crossmember and lift the back.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I appreciate the tips. I bought a new locking gas cap for the Tahoe last night. So after I finish the fuel pump swap, everything but the tank/filler neck will be new. I hope this fixes the fuel gauge needle from jerking around.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I just replaced the fuel pump, sending unit, cap, and filter. Assembled it all with the exact same symptoms. It turns over and runs for a split second and then dies. I'm thinking fuel psi regulator. Any other ideas out there? BTW, the fuel gauge reads correctly now, so at least that problem is fixed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should also mention that my wife's Tahoe has thrown no "codes". Maybe a fuel pump relay switch?

·
Blown Daily
656 Posts
Give me a call tomorrow, I get off at 4:30, home around 5 or so. I can come by with my pressure gauge....

Jason

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks bro! I'm going to Napa to check on the switches this morning.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still same symtom after replacing the relay switch. Maybe the fuel psi regulator?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
61 psi. with the key on. Drops to 55 psi while cranking, runs for a second or less and then dies. PSI back up and then slowly dies off again. I'm stumped!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It drops off slowly, but why would this matter?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any clues as how to clear it or eliminate the anti-theft. I'm so irritated as it is not consistent! I'll check and see if the security light comes on normally or if it only comes on during the stall. Will it stay on?

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
AFAIK it can't be eliminated. It's an integral part of the PCM. Maybe it could be programmed out.

If it's the anti-theft, you'll just have to repair it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any suggestions on how this is done?

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
I don't remember what I knew, but you need to search for Passlock II. Look up DIY security bypass for remote starters and you should learn how it operates.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I got off work yesterday after it had poured down rain all day(both while on my way into work and while I was in the parking lot). I went out to start it while putting away my lunch box and the same issue occurred. It runs for 1-2 seconds and dies. It only seems to be an issue during rain or wet conditions. I remember changing the fuel pump in the rain last Feb. so it makes me think it has something to do with it. Anyone else encounter this problem on rainy days? The 1st time it happened to me was the day my nephew was born, on a rainy night. HELP PLEASE!!! So frustrated, but glad I haven't had a car payment since 2003.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts