GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
// Young & Reckless //
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have pics of their trap door? im not rockin a bedliner so would a hinged method be a good idea?

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Just pull the bed.

About 6 bolts, a wiring harness and 3 buddies and you can have the bed off in about 20 minutes.
Assuming you can get the bolts out and they aren't rust welded. Found out the hard way mine will not come off.

You can drop the tank in an equal amount of time. Unscrew the filler neck and remove the ground wire, support the tank and remove the solid mount, followed by the straps and SLOWLY lower it down. There's enough slack in the wiring harness and fuel lines to get it down far enough to disconnect them.

·
JUGS Racing
1,199 Posts
Would look pretty ghetto without a drop-in bedliner or tonneau cover. My old S15 had a hinged door that the previous owner did. I didn't have a tonneau cover or bed liner so he just covered it with rubber floor mats.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
:think:

Why would you do that? Seems to me like just as much if not more trouble than removing the bed or dropping the tank, just with the added shittieness of having a hole in the bed.

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
pulling the bed isnt hard, a impact gun, impact sockets, and a few buddies and its off, i did it on my OBS and NBS

·
// Young & Reckless //
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would look pretty ghetto without a drop-in bedliner or tonneau cover. My old S15 had a hinged door that the previous owner did. I didn't have a tonneau cover or bed liner so he just covered it with rubber floor mats.
i dont have either one i was just curious if this would save time and efforts since im mostly a one man show.. damn suckass friends lol

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
i dont have either one i was just curious if this would save time and efforts since im mostly a one man show.. damn suckass friends lol
If you are doing it by yourself, siphon as much gas out of the tank as you can and drop it yourself. It's not hard to do by yourself once it's empty.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Do you need to access the fuel pump often enough to justify making a door? I've never heard of this. :shrug:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Drop tank would be easier if you dont have a gun or buddies to help

·
big nick
1,109 Posts
damn y'all are making this alot harder than it is. I can change a fuel pump by myself. without removing the bed off the truck or dropping the tank, or cutting a hole in the floor.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
damn y'all are making this alot harder than it is. I can change a fuel pump by myself. without removing the bed off the truck or dropping the tank, or cutting a hole in the floor.
Yea I could too....on our 98 with a dump bed :crazy:

·
big nick
1,109 Posts
im talking about a stock truck.

·
big nick
1,109 Posts
undo all the bed bolts
remove filler neck bolts
push filler neck through
undo taillight harnesses
put a towel on your right shoulder
put you shoulder under the driver bed fender well and lift up
put a jack stand between the frame rail and the bed support.
change pump.

i can knock one out in under an hour doing it this way.

·
big nick
1,109 Posts
no, bed is still sitting on the truck. hasn't been removed off the truck. this is to make it a one man job.

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
:roflsquared:

There is no way in HELL going through all that is easier than just dropping the tank. I've done mine twice that way and it was easy and quick. Getting all the bed bolts out can be a pain in the ass x1023948103481 if you have an aftermarket hitch or a truck more than a few years old. I don't care what you say, you are "removing" the bed going that method. :read:

·
big nick
1,109 Posts
You have a 9" body lift or something? How the hell are you doing that?
squat your lazy ass down and lift up. ain't hard unless you just got off the couch.:suicide2:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts