GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MODIFIER
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to change my fuel pump out today. Dropped the tank, cleaned it, took care of some rust on the supports above the tank.

I'm not looking forward to putting it back in. I'm working on it while it's sitting on jack stands.

Anyone else enjoy the pleasure of doing this yet??
Seems like a common thing with the Chevy +- yr 2000.

Mines an 03 with the 4.3l and had the 2 wire pump. But the auto sites list either 1 or 2 wire, guess you find out which by dropping it.

·
MODIFIER
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know some cut the bed, prop up the bed, or pull the bed. But I figure if I'm gonna do it I'll do it once. Drop it and clean the tank inside. Also a new fuel filter.

·
MODIFIER
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To clean the tank I had to drop the tank.
Also mine was FULL of fuel, but it's easy to siphon the gas out.
I used a Flo n' Go Hand Pump/Siphon bought it at tractor supply.

Run the hose down in the tank and squeeze/pump the handle a couple times to get the fuel flowing then just hold the handle down.
I used a zip tie. Then I just watched it fill up my 5 gal can several times, LOL.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
propping up the bed is waaaaay easier.
Definitely want to replace your pump lock-ring while you're at it too. And avoid aftermarket parts store pumps, otherwise you'll just be doing this again in a few months.

I just did mine last year on my 02 Sierra and I couldn't believe how clean the inside of my tank was!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
To clean the tank I had to drop the tank.
Also mine was FULL of fuel, but it's easy to siphon the gas out.
I used a Flo n' Go Hand Pump/Siphon bought it at tractor supply.

Run the hose down in the tank and squeeze/pump the handle a couple times to get the fuel flowing then just hold the handle down.
I used a zip tie. Then I just watched it fill up my 5 gal can several times, LOL.

Those pumps are awesome!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts