GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Rollin with Saget
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dad has 99 suburban, and what we think is the fuel pump makes an ass load of noise. it constantly whines when the eginge is on...

is this normal?

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
How loud is it? You should be able to hear it outside the truck...definately not inside the cab however. If it's obnoxious loud than it's likely dying like sevenfold noted. Make sure to change your fuel filter:read:....a lot of people totally forget this and it will accelerate pump failure.

Cameron

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm with Physh1 you should be able to hear it alittle bit outside but definately not on the inside of the cab. If you are going to replace it do it on an empty tank trust me.

·
Rollin with Saget
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well its most noticable on the outside of the truck, and it can be heard winding down just after the engine is turned off. ill talk to my dad, and prolly change the fuel filter.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
The wind down after shutoff is totally normal as well and typically a little louder than normal operation. These fuel pumps are far from quiet but when they start getting loud in the cab you've got some issues. Keep up to date on the filter as a dirty one will kill the pump.

Cameron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts