GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK FSC is a BS of a site. Lots of people talking about modes they have done but can't seem to produce pics for proof. With that out of the way. I am looking to relocate my fuel tank so that it is in my bed. My truck is a 99 NBS Silverado. I was told by the dealership that the fuel pump puts out 40-55 PSI but when I looked on a website it states 60-66 PSI. Thing is how do I extend the fuel lines when the current ones are the high pressure hard plastic lines that have the special clips on them. Dealer told me that fuel pressure fuel line would hold the pressure but wasn't sure if the clamps could hold up to it.

I have already done the raised gas tank on the truck but still worry about it especially when I get ready to redo the rear setup to get 3 more inches of drop in the rear. I raised the tank 1 1/2" in the front and almost 3" in the rear and still get worried. Please if anyone has done this do you have pics, how did you do everything without having to worry about fuel spraying everywhere or blowing a line when you extended them? I don't have the money to drop in a devious tank so I am not looking to go that way not to mention I hear to many people dragging through those tanks too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
just did my buddys 01 and put a sonoma gas tank in there. it is metal and gives you plenty of clearence and the lines plugged into the sonoma pump and cranked right up. i will try to get you some pics but it might be next week before i can get some

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I re-located my stock gas tank into my bed on my '94 chevy. I didn't have the extra cash to dish out on a fuel cell plus I wanted my stock gauge to work. I used stainless hard line just like the factory lines and used the same compression fittings so the extension lines hooked right up to the factory fuel lines. Might be different on your truck though.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Or you can get rubber fuel injection hose same size as stock and use hose clamps. i ran that for about 5 months in my bed with no problems. BUT you will learn to hate it, just dish out the cash to do it right. or dont ride so low

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,050 Posts
so if you raised it that much then why are you worried about it. It is above the frame rail so you could drag rail and still not mess up the tank? I guess I am just confused.

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,050 Posts
i have my lines extended for the bodydrop with just some fuel injection hose and some worm clamps. thats what they were made for so they will hold much more pressure than you will ever put through there with the fuel pump.

And putting the tank in the bed is ghetto.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I re-located my stock gas tank into my bed on my '94 chevy. I didn't have the extra cash to dish out on a fuel cell plus I wanted my stock gauge to work. I used stainless hard line just like the factory lines and used the same compression fittings so the extension lines hooked right up to the factory fuel lines. Might be different on your truck though.
Yea from what I can find the 94 fuel pump doesn't put out near as much pressure as the 99+

so if you raised it that much then why are you worried about it. It is above the frame rail so you could drag rail and still not mess up the tank? I guess I am just confused.
Because I plan on redoing my rear setup to get 3 more inches of drop. When it was bagged the plates weren't welded up high enough on the notches so I don't get as much drop as I want.

i have my lines extended for the bodydrop with just some fuel injection hose and some worm clamps. that's what they were made for so they will hold much more pressure than you will ever put through there with the fuel pump.

And putting the tank in the bed is ghetto.
I plan on building a sheet metal enclosure for it and I also have a tonneau cover for the bed so I am not to worried about it being an eye sore.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
yours is raised higher than mine and my daily has been bagged for over 2 years and has never dragged the ground

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,050 Posts
explain 3 more inches of drop. Here is a link to FSC for some pictures. And in those pics your tank isn't raised at all.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/general-discussion/projects-builds-restorations/358402-99-silverado-project.html

I sure hope you aren't getting all pissed at us to for not posting pics. Also, where did you post up on FSC with request for help on this? I Just searched your name over there and found your truck thread but no mention of getting help with the tank.

Later,
Chad

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just raised it 2 weekends ago. If you want I will go take a pick of it laid out now and show you what type of clearance I have. I have posted in threads asking questions on FSC and if I recall even started a thread asking and I only got one reply back from someone and when I asked how he strapped it and stuff I never heard back from him. How/where do you come off thinking I am getting pissed off because no one is posting pics? I am not pissed.

Here is a few pics...

S7301222.gif

S7301221.gif

S7301220.gif

The front of the tank is raised as high as it will go without cutting the cab to raise the hump behind the seat something that I want to avoid but the bed supports have been cut to accommodate the tank already. So I figured instead of trying to raise it more and have to cut the bed open for it why not relocate it.

then put the ugly ass shit in your bed
As for this comment if it were that easy I would like I asked in the beginning how do I go about extending a fuel line that has 60-66 PSI going through it and not worry about blowing a line. These lines are nothing like fuel systems that run the soft fuel line that had the thread woven into it and only have 15 PSI max pressure.

·
Pebble Pushers
3,028 Posts
As for this comment if it were that easy I would like I asked in the beginning how do I go about extending a fuel line that has 60-66 PSI going through it and not worry about blowing a line. These lines are nothing like fuel systems that run the soft fuel line that had the thread woven into it and only have 15 PSI max pressure.
seen people run that shit on their s10s with no problems but if it was me & i was that worried bout the tank i would ditch it all together & put a cell in the rear & change all the lines

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok say I were to buy a cell and go with a aftermarket pump. Would the new pump have to put out what the factory pump puts out since it is fuel injected? Here are the specs that autozone gives on the factory pump.

Gallons Per Hour: 30-35
Pressure Rating: 85-100 PSI

Now dealer said 40-55 but the manufacturer of this pump assembly said it puts out 85-100. That is a crap load of pressure IMO. Are there aftermarket pump out there that put this rating out and if so what type of lines are they running on that setup?

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,050 Posts
you can get soft fuel line made for fuel injection. It is more expensive but is built for the high pressure. Just ask for it at the local parts store.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool thanks for that link Marcos. Was able to find local dealers since everyone I was calling had no clue as to what I was talking about. They should be able to tell me what type of clamps to use on that line hopefully.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
ya know i had this huge paragraph typed out for you with pics of my tank. then my comp frozed up when i went to post it so im just gonna say this
you got a lot more shit to worry about before you go dragging.
panhard being one of them.
why do boa when you could easily run bag on bar without redoing everything
cut the cab lip and youll get one more inch.
set your bags up properly and you wont ever overlay thus never letting your tank hit the ground int he spot that the frame doesnt protect it.
do searches and figure it out

1 - 20 of 30 Posts