GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am really sick of piddling with my pro comp kit.would it be wiser for me to find a full throttle or just go solid axle?i know solid axle seems extreme but i do use my truck off road from time to time and a stiff ride does not bother me a bit.at the same time i see the full throttle is basically a direct bolt on from the pro comp....

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,667 Posts
FTS does not equate off-roading

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
What is the absolute max you want to spending accomplishing whatever it is you want to accomplish?

What size tires do you want to run?

What skills do you have?

What facilities do you have?

What tools do you have?

·
Throttle Jockey
279 Posts
Your truck, your money. Do as you want.

IFS lift, 1,200- 2K

SAS 3-4K bare minimum if you are very very lucky.

And as for Full Throttle, lots of shops don't carry them anymore due to issues.

·
Fresno State Bulldog
5,708 Posts
FTS does not equate off-roading
:wank:

How much do you offroad? You say "from time to time", that makes me think that SFA would be overkill and not to mention way more $$ than you'd need to spend :shrug: :imo

·
Show Trucks R 4 Gays
478 Posts
Your truck, your money. Do as you want.

IFS lift, 1,200- 2K

SAS 3-4K bare minimum if you are very very lucky.

And as for Full Throttle, lots of shops don't carry them anymore due to issues.

If you do it right and rebuild everything in the axles, gears, lockers, hydro, DOM crossover with heims, steering arms, anti wraps, driveshafts, Tcase swap if needed, shackle flip, paint, bolts, welding supplies..ect... Good luck with spending under 4K and new wheels if going 8 lug and cost of the axles. I say put aside at least 5500 to start with

·
Throttle Jockey
279 Posts
^^^^

I was lucky to get some good deals on a bunch of stuff. Not worried about lockers yet and gears. Want to get it all done and moving. I can always go back and upgrade stuff. But I definately see your point.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i am really sick of piddling with my pro comp kit.would it be wiser for me to find a full throttle or just go solid axle?i know solid axle seems extreme but i do use my truck off road from time to time and a stiff ride does not bother me a bit.at the same time i see the full throttle is basically a direct bolt on from the pro comp....
The design of the FTS is not much different than the ProComp and will have the same issue's, I would not go that direction. If you plan on really playing off road then the straight axle is the right choice. I think you know this but just want to hear you are thinking the right direction. The only con to a straight axle conversion is time and money.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is the absolute max you want to spending accomplishing whatever it is you want to accomplish?

What size tires do you want to run? i will probably step up to 38x15.50 and want to run 20x12's

What skills do you have?
i have one sas under my belt that i did basically from scratch.

What facilities do you have?
shop

What tools do you have?
alot!some of which i probably won't ever use but brought as a just in case precautionary

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
If you do it right and rebuild everything in the axles, gears, lockers, hydro, DOM crossover with heims, steering arms, anti wraps, driveshafts, Tcase swap if needed, shackle flip, paint, bolts, welding supplies..ect... Good luck with spending under 4K and new wheels if going 8 lug and cost of the axles. I say put aside at least 5500 to start with
PFFF DOM steering is over rated. I use 1.5" solid rod.:ninja:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tanz45-you say alot of shops don't carry them because of issues?thats not what i wanted to hear...

mauro-time to time meaning this is my daily but far from a street queen.if the occasion comes up where i need to help a friend or i get on a wild binge im definetly not scared to take it off road.

bigred05-i have a 95 with a true trac 60 front,locked 14 rear with disc brakes crossover and all the other goodies and i have under 4000 and thats including the 47 ltb's.i have access to lots and lots of parts axles or whatever i need.

·
Show Trucks R 4 Gays
478 Posts
PFFF DOM steering is over rated. I use 1.5" solid rod.:ninja:
.....yea yea yea..... If I had the Taps mine would be to but I am not paying for a left hand tap. It was just to easy to weld in some bungs and plug weld each one x2...Plus I dont ever had to worry about hitting mine.:crazy:....my ram on the other hand

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
If you have to ask if you should SFA..Then it is not for you
That response is stupid.

With that being said, i would just go full throttle, Do hiems, Uni Balls, and stuff and you wont break and thing and be able to play around a little when you want to.

Edit. Also what years is this truck.

Also look at Mauro and Justin(motohead), Mike(sportsfane) dirtmafia, just a few ive seen beat there ifs everytime out in pismo giving them no problem.

And the problem with FTS was not there kit, its with the shitty customer service or lack there of service, there kit is top notch never had a problem with mine.

·
Show Trucks R 4 Gays
478 Posts
That response is stupid.

With that being said, i would just go full throttle, Do hiems, Uni Balls, and stuff and you wont break and thing and be able to play around a little when you want to.
How is that stupid you ignorant fucktard? If someone has to ask if they should do a SAS, then to me they do not understand fully what it involves. If they are not destroying their front end offroad then they will be fine with their IFS

·
Respect mah authoritah!
11,152 Posts
i personally dont like FTS b/c the front drop is a fucking billboard for the lift you're running. if u can afford it, SAS

1 - 20 of 93 Posts