GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
heavy on the skinny pedal
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the future 3 to 4 years down the road if i,m still into wheeling i want to convert my curret truck in to a wheeler. the plan would be a sas with a d60 out of 94 up ram with a front four link. then in the rear 8 inch springs with with a shackle flip and a aam 11.5 14 bolt. with the front having 5.13s and a eletr. loker and the bake with detriot if maid and 5.13s. and if cash allows a atlas 2 case and a built 4l85e tranny and a twecked 6.0l. for wheels and tires a set of 40 in boggers on 16.5 by 12 starworks beedlocks. and a exo cage. so how does that combo sound for trails and mud. and if anyone think something else would werk better let me now?

·
Registered
232 Posts
your money might be better spent on a dictionary :idiot: j/k

if you want some actual constructive critisism here ya go...
1. why do sas? why not just go with older chevy or other brand that has solid front and built it as off-road toy as opposed to destroying your nice truck.
2. if you are set on sas then dont do a d60 out of a 94 up ram. they have a disconnect on the passenger side axle shaft that will be a weak point. go with a ford style(could use out of new pooperduty) and you would eliminate a weak point.
3. how much do you know about suspension designs? if you are going to build this your-self and dont have a wealth of suspension knowledge then i would suggest against a four link. if you go with leaf springs fabbing will be TONS easier and just about anyone can do it.
4. for a t-case, unless you have scrooge mcduck for an uncle, just use a 241 tcase out of a 88-99 body style. it will bolt right up, is ALOT cheaper, and you can readily get new parts for it.
5. why an exo cage? unless you plan on doing lots of jumps or off-camber driving its a waste of money and weight. build it shorter with 37~38" tires and you wont need it but still be able to go through any mud hole you want. if you are looking to do rock crawling then full size isn't your best of options, go small, trail only rig and build your current as a nice tow rig.
6. boggers=waste of money. one set of highly aggressive mud tires is just about as good as the next if you are only using them off-road. if you are using them on-road two weeks and you will hate them. i have heard people say that at low speeds they can feel the lugs shift as they drive(not a safe feeling).

if you still plan on goin sas, then i hope you have good luck with it, and i hope i could help.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
My question is that if you are living in Delphos then why are you going all out building a truck like this with exo cage and all the goodies? There is no place around here to wheel. Only thing i can see is that if you travelled quite a ways each time which would be a pain in the ass. Just my 2 cents :insane:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts