GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DisgruntleD
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a feeling that my G80 is on its way to the grave. Lately when it engages its been disengaging and re-engaging excessively, and making some noise. So I am trying to decide on a replacement ahead of time, so in the event that it fails on me, I will be ready to move on something.

So what should I replace it with?? Limiting this to lockers, I'm in the snow enough and off road enough that I do not want a LS.

What are the opinions on Lock Right or Detroit EZ-Locker? They cost much less and easier installations. And is the Detroit No-Spin too harsh for daily driving?

I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't grenade on me, but I don't want to be babying my truck either.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
You'll need an open carrier to drop a lunchbox like an E-Z or Lockwrong in there.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Yup, all off the spider gear replacing lunchbox lockers need an open carrier. You can get one pretty cheap as 10 bolts have been around forever and under millions of vehicles if you want to go that route.

If you want an automatic locker and you don't want the hassle of finding an open carrier you're kind of looking at a single option being the full case detroit. Or you could spend more money and go selectable via ARB, OX, or the E-locker.

I love my detroit, no real input on the ARB yet other than it weighs down the D60 by an extra 50lbs really well:crazy:

·
DisgruntleD
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd prefer automatic, but I guess the price may be pushing me more towards the TrueTrac, which I know is not a locker, but its the best as far as limited slips go.

How does the Detroit act on the pavement? I don't mind it chirping some around really tight corners, is tire wear an issue?

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
i HAVE THE TRU TRAC. Its nice. It wont chirp tires around corners unless you push the throttle. It will spin both tires unless one is airborne in flexing situations. It does exactly what its supposed to do. Be a limited slip unlike the govbomb that will be open then transfer torquqe then go kaboom.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
I'd prefer automatic, but I guess the price may be pushing me more towards the TrueTrac, which I know is not a locker, but its the best as far as limited slips go.

How does the Detroit act on the pavement? I don't mind it chirping some around really tight corners, is tire wear an issue?
Honestly I don't really notice it, every now and then you hear a tire chirp. As far as tire wear its not really all that bad, I rotate then around and when Im about to I can't eyeball the difference front to back.

·
DisgruntleD
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, sounds like the TrueTrac might not be that bad for me, doing some more reading as long as there is some resistance it'll keep them both spinning, there is some resistance on ice and snow so it should work for me.

Although I'm sure I would do just fine with a Detroit locker too. We'll see hopefully it doesn't blow on me, but by the amount of noise its been making lately it can't be too long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts