GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
GM put out a bullentin that said not to add any additives to the fluid. I think Denailiano posted it a while back. I can't remember who posted it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
do you need any kind of friction modifier? that was my real question I guess.

No, those are for use in Limited Slip Differentials (LSD) which are normally installed in cars and all wheel drive SUV/Trucks. All light duty trucks equipped with RPO G80 make use of a locking differential and the use of additives will delay the engagement of the locking mechanism and may decrease axle life.

A Limited Slip Differential (Posi-Traction) operates differently then the G80 locker, they work as the names imply. Also the G80 Locker will disengage over 25mph but a Limited Slip will stay engaged (with limited slip) as long as the traction is needed (wheel slippage) such as in a drag race.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I changed it today. put 2 qts in. it was a big bitch scraping that old gasket off it was sorta like rusted into the rear diff in a few places I scraped for an hour. then I sealed it back up with some stuff called 1 minute gasket seems to work good so far we'll see.

·
PT.Net Member
195 Posts
ive read alot of people using about 2 1/4 qts, thats about what i used. and my computer at work (autozone) says 2 1/9th, 2 may work , id just double check it with a paper clip.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ive read alot of people using about 2 1/4 qts, thats about what i used. and my computer at work (autozone) says 2 1/9th, 2 may work , id just double check it with a paper clip.
what kind of fluid does the transfer case take? its a manual t case. does your computer know? lol

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i 4got to ask what kinda truck it is, and what year
I swing by the dealership yesterday and bought 2 qts it says on the bottle manual transmission and transfer case fluid. It looks thin and red like dextron III so thats probably what it is just renamed. thanks dude.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just changed the t case fluid it was a sparkling black and red rainbow. some metal but it didnt look too bad just glittery. good for another 50K now.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I read somewhere in GM bulletin that they were renaming Dexron IIIH; Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid. I cannot locate that bulletin to back that up though. I know I have it somewhere.

Dexron VI has not been validated for use in those applications other then Automatic Transmission and it not recommended. Its not the performance that could be the issue but the chemical makeup. It could be harmful to some internal components in those applications, just in case you thought Dexron VI would be OK.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts