GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I did a SFA buildup thread, so why not do a garage buildup thread :crazy:

I do alot of work for people around here so you all might as well see how im setting up my small home shop. Now im only in an apartment so there are limitations to what I can do, and also $$$ is somewhat of a scarcity after my SFA and moving into a new place. It will be a long project but ill keep this updated. Here it is as of 10 minutes ago. Its messy from moving and working on my truck.

This weekend I am going to build a work bench and clean things up. I need to get some more lighting installed and electricity issues worked out. Hopefully Ill be able to add 1 or 2 dedicated 20 amp circuts and a dual 50 amp 240 for a welder.

BTW does anyone know how tall a 6" lifted NBS is at the roof? My garage door opening is exactly 7', im pretty sure a NBS truck with a 6" will fit in. That would make it very pleasant to do 6" lifts, anything bigger I will have to do in the driveway. Expect updates soon and im ALWAYS open to sugestions on what to do, any cool ideas let me know.

·
Realtor, not Real-iter
421 Posts
1st... what the hell do you do with the Swifer Wet Jet thingy I see???

your How tall question.... it will fit in (and out of :crazy: ) a 7' opening. Mine is about 81-82"max to the top of the Onstar antennea which is about 1" or so taller than the cab. Of course the regular antennea will hit the 7' opening.

I cant wait until my new house is built. I bought a little MIG welder and little plasma cutter (Both Miller) and I'm having to use them in the mostly dirt back yard because half my house is still packed up in boxes and stacked in the garage.

I'm not very good at using them yet... just barely past the booger weld stage now. :pow:

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you can just go ahead and send them my way then, ill make sure to take great care of them :D

BTW the mop thing is for the kitchen floor, duno why its in there :think:

·
Realtor, not Real-iter
421 Posts
I just bought them to ocassionally do (new) home projects I'm also starting a small part time business that I need them for (non truck related) and then I will be able to write them off as a business expense.. Both come in handy as you know.

I figure I can get good practice using them for business since it doesnt require quality welds and when I get good enough I can use it for fabb'n truck stuff too.

BTW - Man o man.... around here there are TONS of lifted trucks. Of the 6" variety the RCD kit is by far the most installed.... the Rancho is next.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Today I took a trip to home depot and bought materials for a workbench and built is. Its about 40" tall and 5'x3' with a 2x12 surface. Its sturdy as hell, I jumped up and down on it and its not moving. Built right into the studs in eth wall. Total cost $43 and 2 hrs of time including trip to home depot.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ha actually it was just there if your talking about the creeper. The garage is getting cleaned up tomarow, its a mess right now.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
DE I swear to god you are the fastest, most efficient working guy I know. Building a work bench in under 2 hours including the trip is ridiculous. I swear to god you kick ass!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now if only I could change out my idler arm and pitman arm in an hour like you...oh well, theres a reason I'll never start a shop.

P.S. The brew consumed does not help.

·
What's this button do?
109 Posts
nice work, i wish my college housing included a garage :drool:

o and about the work time bggrnchvy, you should see the partition wall me and one of my roommates built in an afternoon. 10 foot long, has a window, i wired up some lights to a switch and even threw in a couple outlets. took 5hrs+30min to get the material no booz involved tho, maybe it woulda helped :D

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Working fast comes from years and years of doing this kind of stuff very often. :D Also the right tools help.

Speaking of, I got about an hour and a half before class so im going to go put up the pegboard I bought yesterday. :D

·
GMFS founding member
4,014 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
Working fast comes from years and years of doing this kind of stuff very often. :D Also the right tools help.

Speaking of, I got about an hour and a half before class so im going to go put up the pegboard I bought yesterday. :D
i wish i had your work ethic. i really do. i can change my oil in the time it takes you to build a workbench :D

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the pegboard up, took just under an hour. Total cost with hooks: $38 - most of that was the hooks also. I need to actually get some more. I started to hang up some of my wrenches.

I made a frame of 1x2s and then screwed the pegboard into that. It should be able to hold more weight that the hooks themselfs, so no worries.

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,252 Posts
looks good DE. Seeing yours makes me want to start workin on my garage.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does anyone know where I can get some cheap plastic or metal storage drawers for bolts etc... Like what they have at hardware stores. One unit with ALOT of drawers.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah like that but cheaper! I dont really need metal, heavy plastic would be sufficiant. I have like 9 million bolts and shit and want to organize them by size.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts