·
is awesome
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
over the past month my gauge has not been working right
then this weekend it stoped working all together
im thinking it is most likley the sending unit
what do you guys think?
i assume it is in the tank and that i need to drop the tank to replace it?
anyone know how much a sending unit is?
thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Probably the sending unit, guages generally last quite a while. No idea how much the part is, but its probably easier to pull the bed off to get to it.

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
The sending unit is a common problem on the nbs. Not sure about the obs. When I priced mine, it was around $385.00 but that was sending unit and pump. :rape: :jawdrop: :nutkick:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
kevindepot said:
The sending unit is a common problem on the nbs. Not sure about the obs. When I priced mine, it was around $385.00 but that was sending unit and pump. :rape: :jawdrop: :nutkick:
Its much much cheaper on the old trucks :D

EDIT: If it says "Vortec" on it, add $200 to the price of all parts. :read:

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
My guage stopped working a while back...i dunno the cure either, but im used to it now and it doesn't bother me...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
It's your sending unit in the tank. I've found it easier to drop tanks versus pulling a bed in the past. :imo

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hit Man X said:
It's your sending unit in the tank. I've found it easier to drop tanks versus pulling a bed in the past. :imo
those are some biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig booooooooooooooooties!!!!!

·
GolfnBeer
668 Posts
My truck does the same thing, they dont sell the sending unit seperate you have to buy the whole assembly for 340.00...I would try to take it out and clean it and check the float assembly, make sure not to get gas on the rubber seal at the top of the tank cause it will swell and and not seal properly. Just take your time I personally would take the bed off just get a couple of your buddies to help lift off the bed then throw them a couple beers. good luck

·
Registered
232 Posts
had a problem with mine as well...pulled out the sending unit and noticed that the float arm was loose where it connected to the fuel level sending unit. just took a flat head screw driver and gently bent the probes so that there was a constant electrical contact between them and the variable resistance end. real easy and a hell of alot cheaper. havent had a problem since.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
christayse said:
My truck does the same thing, they dont sell the sending unit seperate you have to buy the whole assembly for 340.00...I would try to take it out and clean it and check the float assembly, make sure not to get gas on the rubber seal at the top of the tank cause it will swell and and not seal properly. Just take your time I personally would take the bed off just get a couple of your buddies to help lift off the bed then throw them a couple beers. good luck
what year truck?

·
GolfnBeer
668 Posts
I have a 2000 gmc the sending unit acts up but I cleaned and checked electric connections, Once you get the unit out you can inspect it and see if anything is wrong.

·
Banned
487 Posts
dkj- the easiest is to drop the tank.

Drop the tank and you'll see where the 3 hoses and electrical connectors were pluged in.. you'll see 2 places in it where you could stick a screw driver.

Turn the sender assembly out of the tank, (blow the dirt and shit off the tank so that dont end up in there) and get a new sender.

Before you go through all that trouble, you might want to make sure your sender ground is connected. It should plug right into the top of the sender and onto the frame. I have seen them come disconnected before.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Is the tank on that truck under the bed or somewhere else? When I changed the pump on an obs truck, 8 bolts and a couple wires and a ground and the bed was off...took all of half an hour...

·
is awesome
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright man i check out the ground first

whifflebat: for your info the tank is half under the bed and half under the cab, just inside the rocker on the drivers side

·
Banned
487 Posts
djk- you should have 2 gas tanks....one under each cab/box?

If theres a gas door on the passenger side of your box you should have 2.. and a rocker switch on your dash to switch from tank to tank.

Also, 73-87 gas tanks with straps are VERY notorious for rusting where the straps bolt on. Since you have the tank down, i would pull the mounts completely off and clean them up. :imo

·
is awesome
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no i only have a single tank
kinda sucks, wish i had 2 cause the range on a single 16 gallon tank blows

·
Banned
487 Posts
Well if you only have 1 tank, then your other must have rusted out from previous owner?

So you dont have a door on the passenger side of your box for a tank? :think:

Edit: i just checked out your gallery.... there isnt one that i can see. That is VERY odd. Is there a switch in your dash for it?

·
is awesome
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no gas filler door and no switch
my truck was a bare bones truck in 85 i believe

also it was actually just the ground broke off
re-grounded it and it works mint now

·
Banned
487 Posts
I have never heard of that... but GM did a lot of switching on their stuff! :insane:

Atleast you got it fixed, much better than dropping the tank and replacing everything! :rocking:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts