GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is posted in wrong thread or if people are just flat out sick of hearing about this topic already.

So I have my 2005 chevy avalanche z71 5.3L NON-flex fuel its on 315 70 r17 kelly safari tsr's with 6" lift,1 ton bj's, and 4.11 gearing.stock exauhst all the way back singled into 1 dynoproformance what ever muffler concealed behind rear axle.
Cargo side boxes fully loaded with chains multiple 30ton tow straps multiple hitches and tools and just the regular stuff a guy uses daily in the boonies, back seat usually filled with tools and gear and then my weight aswell which is usually 280-310 depending if im on a bulk or cut cycle.. anyways..

My mpg in town average from 8.9mpg to 9.8mpg... on high way im lucky to see 12mpg.. not to sure how accurate the highway mpg is since I haven't done anything more than a 20min highway stretch since getting my new tires put on.. but does this milage seem in the right ball park for what I am running? And no ditching all the gear and tools isnt an option.. Unfortunately.

Obviously I understand lifted trucks dont get great milage but I was hopeing to hear from people with first hand experience with running a chip or getting their truck tuned and swapping intakes or cams made a positive difference on milage.. id be happier than a pig in mud to see 16-18mpg which doesnt seem to out of reach if it is indeed true that some upgrades can up milage...

looking forwards to reading what you all have to say, have a good day and or night! Cheers!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
That doesn't sound completely inaccurate. With that setup, anything over 15 I think would be good. Have you had your speedo recalibrated for the larger tires? Were these on winter blend fuel?

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,708 Posts
What size tire are you running and have you had your truck tuned to compensate for the change

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mikelshrum: thanks bud! Its still got 3 more inches of lift then itll be time to give it some new makeup.

06GMC5.3L: I have not specifically done it or aske anyone to but based off of my speedo in comparison with my gps, a few apps downloaded on my cell phone, cop signs that tell your speed an a few speeding tickets my speedo is only out by 3km/h no matter my speed. It was the exact same for everything so im thinking the shop went ahead and did it anyways or my speedo was just way out with the stock tires.. lol is there any other way a guy could check to be 100% sure?

I couldnt be certine if its winter blended fuel or not. My milage hasnt varied from the warm weather to cold weather.. other than the idel time for warming up dropping it a little bit at first.

Graystone: it says in the original post what I am running. 315 70 r17 which works out to " 35" and a little bit" as the guy at the shop stated it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
In your case a bigger motor would benefit you I would think. A 6.0 is pretty easy to do from what I understand, and in your case it would move all that weight easier, saving fuel. That would be my thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
First thing I have to say is. jesus fkn Christ how big are you?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had that thought too.. I also had the thought of a smaller motor with a boost system since thats what all these newer trucks are doing for better milage.. but a motor swap is probably out ofvthe budget range for a while and would take quite a few years before the money saved difference pays off.. cant pick up motors as cheap in canada as you can in the states:(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pretty big.. I like lifting heavy things and riding motorcycles and sleds so gotta have the muscles plus you cant be weak in my line of work. If you cant roll up and drag 1 mile of 9" pump hose in under an hour your "fucking the dog" and should just go home.

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
Yeah but 310 tho..........shit tons of guys in the world struggle to get to 310 and still not look like a fatass.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use to be a fatass 400lbs worth of fat. Now I cut and bulk and eventually ill come in at that perfect 300 of shredded like I want to be.

But this has completely derailed the thread so lets get back to gas milage options and opinions. .

·
cunts
2,743 Posts
maybe try more cut cycles to get an extra .1 or .2 mpg. IMO.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Weigh less than 300-280 for .1-.2mpg saved.. not worth it if I have to weigh what I dont want to.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,708 Posts
depending on your driving style and idle time. Do a tune up. From there any motor mods are not going to help you in the long run to save money on fuel.

·
cunts
2,743 Posts
Weigh less than 300-280 for .1-.2mpg saved.. not worth it if I have to weigh what I dont want to.
That was a poke at you bragging about your bodybuilder physique...

Lower back down to stock height/wheels/tires or live with your current mpg. Simple as that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am getting 12mpg average today tho. Only difference is I filled at husky instead of shell.

Id still like to hear from people who have chips and dofferent modifications to theor motors and if that made any kind of difference in milage.

As for the comments on my size, lets clear this up right now so that their over and done with and will no longer derai this thread. I have been to 400lbs and I have also been down to 210lbs. I really have 0 fucks to give about your opinion on what I should do with my body. I choose to be big and dropping below 280 isnt an option nor does anyone find it at all fun to make "cut weight save gas" remarks. Their rude and iggnorant. since my end goal consist of be being at 300 with a bmi of 12% body fat thats what I plan to do. So say what you want to say then lets move on because im looking for real info on milage not life styles.

·
cunts
2,743 Posts
If you want to stay on a bulking cycle, I hear higher octane such as 93 will increase your mpg by about 25%.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,708 Posts
Is this just a one time happening for mileage? Or do you always have this. If you have never done a tune up it will help.

These trucks don't use chips btw. it would take years for you to recoup the money spent on mods

·
Administrator
3,467 Posts
If you're looking to gain MPG with your existing mods your best bet is a BlackBear Tune and tell Justin you want to gain MPG. If you're at 12 now, though, getting to 15 may be a stretch. Probably be closer to 14 :imo: Still 14 mpg with your lift and tires is pretty good if you're able to get there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts