GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gas gauge doesnt work so I reset my trip odometer everytime i fill up. Today I scored some $$ so I went to fill up. Since my last fill up, I had driven 87.6 miles. After filling up, I had bought 13 gallons. So that means I'm getting 6.7 mpg!!!!! :insane:

I have 3.73s and 36"(not true size) tires, and I realize this isnt the greatest combination for gas mileage. But when I first got my truck in late 05, I calculated that I was getting around 13-14 mpg.

Could the bigger tires really have cut my mileage in half?

I think I should point out, though, that in the 1 1/2 years I have owned the truck, ive never changed the spark plugs and wires, distributor cap, fuel filter (the fittings are so rusted they WOULD NOT come off, and about 4 of us tried to get them damn thing off)

So I figure it may be a combination of the lack of maintainence and the large tires? Would a tune up improve my mileage to a good ammount? I mean here I was hoping 10 was good after the lift, but 6.7 is recockulous

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
you did acount for the larger tire size right? If you had 31's stock(265/75/16) your mileage would be about 15% off

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you did acount for the larger tire size right? If you had 31's stock(265/75/16) your mileage would be about 15% off
you know what... i just went and looked for the smilie that smacks itself in the face...

but this will do... :doh:

more calculation is needed

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
you know what... i just went and looked for the smilie that smacks itself in the face...

but this will do... :doh:

more calculation is needed
what size were your stockers?

EDIT-Even if you had 30" stockers and were running true 36's your actual mileage would only be 108 or something close to that. That still only equals 8.3 mpg.

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stock tires are usually 265s. I had 275s then 285s

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what size were your stockers?

EDIT-Even if you had 30" stockers and were running true 36's your actual mileage would only be 108 or something close to that. That still only equals 8.3 mpg.
yeah I just did that out. the difference between a 31" and a 36" is 1 mile to 1.2 miles. So its 105.12 miles. Divided by 13 gallons thats a hair over 8 mpg

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Shoot. If I can get 200mi out of 16gal I am happy. I really dont care about mileage tho.

Just drive with an egg (imaginary of course) between your foot and throttle and dont haul ass. It helps a ton with under geared vehicles.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
The tune up items should help out some. Do you mostly do city driving? Does this mileage include driving in any snow/warm up time?

my mileage is pretty poor as well but I'm overgeared instead of undergeared. My only fix is to put bigger tires on :crazy:

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I'll enjoy my 400 miles on 20 gallons of gas. Sorry to you lifted and obs guys.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
The joy of owning a lifted truck outweighs the pain of filling it up so often for me. Although I still get better mileage than phil :anitoof:

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shoot. If I can get 200mi out of 16gal I am happy. I really dont care about mileage tho.

Just drive with an egg (imaginary of course) between your foot and throttle and dont haul ass. It helps a ton with under geared vehicles.
yeah but my truck is 30 gallons (i think? :think: )

and I do drive cautious and dont give it much gas when I drive.

Aso yes, 95% of my driving is in the city

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts
i dont know what your talking about... i have 3.73, teh same tires as you and my stock computer in and i get 11 or better

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i dont know what your talking about... i have 3.73, teh same tires as you and my stock computer in and i get 11 or better
well apparently then I'm a shit head who drives a shit truck, and put shit gas in my truck for shit mileage...

:hmm:

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
with my z and 4.56s with 32.75" tall 35's i got 13.8 on the highway and 11.5-12.5 in town. Fuel filter will help, but a tune up will get you better milage.

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts
well apparently then I'm a shit head who drives a shit truck, and put shit gas in my truck for shit mileage...

sounds about right:anitoof:

·
Registered
402 Posts

I would say that terrain has some to do with the poor mileage. Not much flat ground to be had in MA.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
1 - 20 of 53 Posts