GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Mine has been drug some, and its not a cool feeling, kinda scary. You will eventually drag through it, ask Lowblue02 (evan). He has a skidplate on his gas tank now as well as having raised it.

I need to raise mine for peace of mind, but I guess i'll have to raise the crossmembers above it to do it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool yeah i have just a 6/7 drop on mine now it is in the process of being bagged waiting on parts but just with the drop i drug tank

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
Ya, you WILL drag through it if you want to drag. Hell, if you want to just ride low you'll eventually scrape through.

Raise it for peace of mind.

·
Loves yoga pants
2,412 Posts
I know you can raise the tank slightly by cutting the strap, shortening it, and rewelding it, but what has anyone done about the crossmember that Steve is referring to?

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
I can never find a good picture of a frame, but the 2 crossmembers where the yellow lines are must be cut, raised and rewelded .. right?

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
bcubed said:
I can never find a good picture of a frame, but the 2 crossmembers where the yellow lines are must be cut, raised and rewelded .. right?
The one up front is actually riveted to the top of the frame, so I think you have to add a spacer to that one. Droppedgmc (here in this forum) raised his, maybe he can give us some details....

·
Registered
158 Posts
I raised my gas tank and it is still easy to get scrape or drag on! I will be going to a fuel cell in the near future. The main reason for the cell will be to shave the gas door. I raised my gas tank my self. The front crossmember has two rivets on each side. You have to cut these rivets and add a 1" spacer. I welded mine back in. 1" is the most you can go and the tank will be against the bottom of the cab. The rear crossmember has to be cut out, moved up and welded back in. Even with the rear crossmember raised it has to be notched for the driveshaft on both regular and extended cabs.If you leave the tank in the stock location, lifted 1" or not, I highly recomend a skid plate. Looking back, I wish i would have went ahead and went with a cell to begin with. It would have saved me alot of work, but then again I didn't have the money for it then either. I also didn't want to take up bed space, but have since decided to weld the tailgate up, so bed space doesn't matter now anyway.

I hope that helps.
Trey

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
bagged01extcab said:
I raised my gas tank and it is still easy to get scrape or drag on! I will be going to a fuel cell in the near future. The main reason for the cell will be to shave the gas door. I raised my gas tank my self. The front crossmember has two rivets on each side. You have to cut these rivets and add a 1" spacer. I welded mine back in. 1" is the most you can go and the tank will be against the bottom of the cab. The rear crossmember has to be cut out, moved up and welded back in. Even with the rear crossmember raised it has to be notched for the driveshaft on both regular and extended cabs.If you leave the tank in the stock location, lifted 1" or not, I highly recomend a skid plate. Looking back, I wish i would have went ahead and went with a cell to begin with. It would have saved me alot of work, but then again I didn't have the money for it then either. I also didn't want to take up bed space, but have since decided to weld the tailgate up, so bed space doesn't matter now anyway.

I hope that helps.
Trey
Thanks for the details, bro. I might do this this coming weekend.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts