GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive heard of people dragging through theyre gas tanks. especially the cheap ass NBS plastic ones... what if you got a Z71 skid plate? would that help? has anyone seen this or tried it? just a thought...

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
wouldn't a plate under the gas tank spark until u wore through it? Then when u railed, u'd just have sparks? I guess i never thought about what you drag when you rail.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2k1slvrdo said:
wouldn't a plate under the gas tank spark until u wore through it? Then when u railed, u'd just have sparks? I guess i never thought about what you drag when you rail.
see, i dunno what the Z71 skidplates are made of. i think the NBS is just composite.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OrangeCrush said:
werd to just lifting it, have you been scraping it lately or are you planning something?
nah, y2ksierra was showing me pics of his 4/8 and his gas tank about an inch from a speedbump. we were lookin on ebay and i came across some skidplates.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
lowred said:
nah, y2ksierra was showing me pics of his 4/8 and his gas tank about an inch from a speedbump. we were lookin on ebay and i came across some skidplates.
Yeah, thanks Josh...i'm still looking at ideas to protect my tank, i'm kinda worried about it.

:shrug:

·
THE VIKING !!!
279 Posts
huh , it is right there by the rear tires .. But I guess it would be a good idea . I dont think mine has ever hit the ground , but I did wrench that bitch up in there when I put it back in (probably has ) ..

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I say raise it. For some reason I've never had a problem with mine dragging. I mean when I get under it I see a few scrape marks, but nothing deep or big. Mines a little lower than Y2K Sierra's when the rear is aired out and I drive with it aired out like that alot.

·
MIA
1,157 Posts
Y2KSierra said:
Yeah, thanks Josh...i'm still looking at ideas to protect my tank, i'm kinda worried about it.

:shrug:
To raise it .. you just need to cut the crossmembers, and raise them up as far as they can go .. @ 1-2 inches. Then re-weld the crossmember. I have been to you can wrench the straps a little tighter and you can pick the a$$ end up some more, but I haven't seen it done.

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
My tank is raised, and I STILL drug a hole through it. So now I have a HUGE skidplate on it...I need to take some pics.

Can't remember who said it, but scrape marks on your tank isn't good. That's what I had at first and before I knew it, tank was no good. Watch your shit.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts