GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how the builds work around here but I saw the other builds and thought I'd throw one up for my truck before I get in too deep. It won't end too extreme but by the time I'm done I will have a lot of utilitarian mods. I use the truck daily for towing a landscaping trailer.

I had an '00 NBS RCSB for a decade before buying a 4Runner for long trips since the Z71 was a little ragged out.

For those interested I have a build thread for my 4runner here -gaterose build thread - and a quicker summary from a magazine article - Graduated 4Runner

I picked up this truck 12/11/14 with 21K miles, CPO, Full Warranty, 5.3L, 4x4, Locking Differential, etc.

Mods
(as of 12/19/14)
Tires & Wheels
OEM Bridgestone Dueler A/T 265/65R18
OEM 5 Spoke 18x8

Suspension
2" MotoFab Front Spacer (on the way)

Engine/Performance
Factory for now

Exterior
Cam Locker Fullsize Box with Rail
N-Fab Cab Length Nerf Bars
Husky Bed Caps
Duplicolor Bed Armor Roll On Bed Liner
Lund Fender Flares - SX106S Elite Series Sport Style (on the way)

Lighting
LED Interior (eBay.. for now)
10W LED Reverse Bulbs
NiteBruiser 3x3 'Dually' Flush Mount Backup LEDs
PIAA LED H11 Low Beam
PIAA Extreme White 9005 High Beam
HomeLink Universal in Overhead Console

Electronics
Faux OEM Backup Camera in Tail Gate Bezel
OEM Rearview Mirror with Screen
Viair 300P Portable Air Compressor (soon to be used in hybrid on-board/portable air)

Interior
WeatherTech Digital Fit Over-the-Hump Front Liner & Rear Liner

Eventual Plans
Audio System JL/Inifinity
Fender Flares
Custom Under Rear Seat Storage
Convertible On Board Air
LED Bar for Front Bumper
OEM Fog Bumper Ends with Amber 'Dually' LEDs
285/65R18 ATs

My '00 Z71

My (now fiancé's) 4Runner

My '13 Z71 the day I got it

More to come...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also installed some PIAA LED 6000K H11s today, guess we'll see how they work. I wasn't satisfied with the Extreme White H11s. I guess I'll see how name brand LED head lamps work, I couldn't find any reviews before I ordered. I've never tried the off brand ones but these seem to have a lot of R&D and claim to be compatible with reflector housings. Has to be better than blinding folks with an HID in reflector setup. I'd prefer a full HID retrofit but don't want to cut open the lights.

The included 'controllers' similar to HID ballasts

The screw-on connectors are nice

Mounted the controllers on the subframe behind the headlight, near the washer bottle..

And between the intake

Output looked nice, white with a hint of blue. We'll see how functional they are tonight.

I'll try to get some output photos in the near future.

I also installed a universal Homelink in my overhead console last weekend. It's not as clean as factory, but I think it came out well for $15. I just need to find something seal the little gap, which is more noticeable in this photo than in practice.

·
meow
15,747 Posts
:welcome: I've drooled over the picture of your old silverado from way back. Anymore oldies laying around?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:welcome: I've drooled over the picture of your old silverado from way back. Anymore oldies laying around?
Haha, thanks! Yeah I have a few. Didn't take a ton of pictures when I was driving that truck. But you can tell from the rocker panels that I wasn't afraid to take it anywhere, it was unstoppable with 33s, little 4.8L, and factory rear locker.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sup Gaterose! Glad you posted. dont let them go too hard on you.

My dad just put in similar LED bulbs he loves them.
Thanks Sam! If I could handle with the hate on T4R with my 2WD overland 4Runner I think I'll be fine!

I actually went for a drive earlier and was surprised at how well they worked. Was afraid they'd be too dim or blinding like HIDs but they actually have a cutoff about like the halogens did. Still not as good as a projector retrofit but I'm happy with em.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had some free time today and used some extra plywood to build a storage compartment under the back seat. I just used some cardboard and a razor knife to make templates for each side.

Used some black vinyl to wrap the outside so it looks nice closed up. It doesn't look clean on the inside and I may try to clean it up later, but the inside doesn't matter to me.

There's a small gap under the edge, I'll probably just stick a rubber seal or something there to fill the gap. I also plan to bolt it down with some L brackets but I didn't have enough self tapping screws.

Also picked these up from a local guy for only $50, Warn SDB-210. Not sure what I'm gonna do with them yet but I couldn't pass it up. Still undecided if I want a brush guard or light bar.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Keep us updated on those PIAA LED's please :wave:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
any updates on the LED headlight bulbs?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Interested to see where this goes.

Edit: Just looked over the 4 runner build :waytogo:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The LED bulbs are still working out great so far. They're not blinding like HIDs in reflectors but still brighter than halogens and have a nice 6000K hue. It's been a long time since I've used them, but it seems the output is way better than 6000K halogens I tried before. Definitely better than the PIAA Xtreme white halogens.

I'd still rather have a decent projector retrofit but I'm happy with the purchase compared to the cost and effort involved in cutting open the heads and tinkering with a retrofit.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got some Lund Elite Series fender flares and painted them to match with ATU rattle can. It seems like a lot of people don't like flares on NNBS trucks but I do so that's all that matters, right?

Also added some Bull Ring retractable bed rings for extra cargo management.

Also lined my cargo box with carpet and bolted it down to clean it up a little.

I also have a stack of goodies that I'm waiting on time and weather to let me install. 2" front spacer, Air-Lift RideControl & WirelessOne, Infinity 6.5" components front & rear, Alpine 10" 'truck sub', JL 360.4 & 250.1, fog light bumper caps & lights, also trying to figure out how I want to mount the SDB-210s.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spent most of the day attempting my audio install. Ran into a couple of problems and didn't get finished, hopefully tomorrow I can finish. Just may have to drive with no music all day.

I realized that it was going to be a PITA to fit 6-1/2" back there using the stock speaker as an adapter so I returned the Infinity stuff for Alpine Type S stuff. The nice thing about the Alpine speakers is that they have inline crossovers so I don't have boxes to hide.

Mounted the amps behind the seat, I did some trimming so the sound deader would lay flat and mounted the material under the amps. Not as good as before but better than nothing.

JX 360.4

5-1/4" 2-way in the rear door

6-1/2" component in the front door

Tweeter in the OEM location

Screws covered by the OEM cover.

Ran out of time so I stopped taking pictures. Just need to install the PAC adapter, connect my RCAs & remote, and put fuses in. Well and build the subwoofer box but I'm not in a hurry for that part since I can put the seats back in and put the box in at my leisure. To be continued...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Following for when you install factory fogs, where did you get them from and for how much?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have those bull rings, use them all the time.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the caps from Rockauto for about $32 and the lamps from some ebay seller for $35 but the lamps used an H4 bulb and short harness instead of the 5202 bulbs... Sorry to let you down but I decided to send the lamps back and I think I'm going to put some LED pods in the caps instead, so I may not have any useful info for ya. I was also having a tough time getting the lamps to stay in the bumper on a test fit, so the fit wasn't great either.

I've only used the rings once so far, but I know they're going to come in handy plenty. I really like the side ring holes from the factory, just wish they'd included the rings!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haven't posted in a few weeks, I finished my audio installed and subwoofer box.

Sub Remote

Already had 2 nice fosgate 12' RCAs so I ran under the floor liner and console instead of buying new RCAs and leaving this in a junk pile. You have to really want to see em to find em.

Fused distribution block for accessory block and stereo

Distribution block for amps

I also installed a Blue Sea fused distribution block for my accessories

I picked up a Warn Trans4mer from Craigslist and put my M8000 and the SDB-210s I picked up on it. It came with Sierra headlight guards, so if anyone needs a pair PM me!

Winch is a Warn M8000 I've had for over a decade. I recently put on 85' of 3/8 Technora line and a Viking Safety Thimble

Light switch

1 - 20 of 132 Posts