GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Max
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I put 315/75/16 tires on my stock 2500HD rims will it mess up my gears like I hear it does to other trucks when you install bigger tires then GM recommends? I'm purchasing tires next week and want to know before hand because I keep going back and forth between 315/75/16 or 285/75/16 which is what I currently have.

·
TEAM FUEL MOTORSPORTS
7,898 Posts
It won't "mess" up your gears... but going to the larger diameter tire will change your overall "ratio". You'll lose some low-end but with the Duramax and your mods it shouldn't be too bad.

Hell I still run 3.73s in both my trucks with 315's and 37's. The Black Bear tune really woke up my gas motors. You should look into a programmer for yours.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
like john, i have the 8.1...but with allison 1000 and 4.11s. stock tires are too small for my liking...285s are a good toss up between good looks and good overall ratio. i am considering going to 37s sometime, but with 4.56s or 4.63 gears. my 8.1 barely notices the 315s i have now and the ONLY issue i have with it is towing my blazer around at about 55 mph. any more or any less than that, it holds gears great pulling 8k lbs behind it + gear in the bed.

·
Max
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'll be ordering my 315s this week then. Do you know of any good programmers for the duramax john? I hear a lot of bad things about the edge from people.

·
TEAM FUEL MOTORSPORTS
7,898 Posts
I'm not that familiar with whats good/bad for the Diesels.

Either search or ask here in the Duramax section... or check/sign up over on thedieselplace.com

What brand 315 are you going with?

·
Max
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm either looking at BFG AT's which I currently have in 285's or General Grabber AT2's. Do you have any recommendations on a good brand/tires. I'm definetly looking into an AT.

·
TEAM FUEL MOTORSPORTS
7,898 Posts
For all the driving you probably do the BFGs are obviously a good choice (as you already know). They won't win any mud bogging awards but they are great all around tires for our area and do good in the winters as well.

If you are sticking with an A/T then I'd suggest the BFG A/Ts or the Nitto Terra Grapplers. I personally don't have any experience with them, but alot of people on here have them and speak highly of them.

·
Max
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright thanks. I was also wondering if you know anybody or if you have the tool to unload torsion bars. I don't know if you saw my other post but the bolt broke on one of mine while I was trying to crank them up. I need to get a new bolt but in order to do that I need someone with the tool to do it or someone just to help me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts