GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, bouncing off the other thread....here's my question:

Truck: 2k burban, 5.3L, 2wd, 3.76

I'm going to change the rear-end gears myself to 4.56. What parts will I need to order to have everything I require? How difficult a project is this?

tHANKS!

·
Registered
703 Posts
if you have never done gears or dont have a friend that is good at it then i dunno if it's the smartest thing to do it yourself, even 4wp screwed mine up the first time, the redid it yesterday and now after the 2nd try its set up right

·
Built Not Bought
23 Posts
Gear swaps are easy. Nothing too em. Ive set up probably 8 rear-ends for myself, friends, my boss etc. You need some special tools but its not a big deal. The biggest thing is taking your time to set them up correctly. I would never let a shop touch my rearend (I wouldnt let em touch my gears either :crazy: ) Well you'll need the gears, master overhaul kit (MOH kit), and you might as well upgrade to an eaton posi unit. I wrote a tech article on this over on FSC. I can copy paste it if you want.

Josh

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yah but you know what your doing obviously, i wouldn't tell someone that has never done it and has no knowledge to go ahead and jump right in, Of course you can doit yourself Jim, i wasn't trying to say you can't, just make sure you read up a bit on his tech article so you get it set up perfectly. dont let yourself be fooled by how easy unbolting and bolting the stuff is.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, cut and paste, at least a link!

badburban said:
Gear swaps are easy. Nothing too em. Ive set up probably 8 rear-ends for myself, friends, my boss etc. You need some special tools but its not a big deal. The biggest thing is taking your time to set them up correctly. I would never let a shop touch my rearend (I wouldnt let em touch my gears either :crazy: ) Well you'll need the gears, master overhaul kit (MOH kit), and you might as well upgrade to an eaton posi unit. I wrote a tech article on this over on FSC. I can copy paste it if you want.

Josh

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
heres some stuff you will need

torque wrenchs - one for ft lbs and one for measure inch pounds (pinion preload)

dial meter with magnetic base

press with bearing splitter

rubebr mallet

pinion nut socket (normally pretty big)

big chanel locks to hold the yolk while turnign th pinion nut.

·
Built Not Bought
23 Posts

·
Built Not Bought
23 Posts
Andy said:
vhato's article is very good aswell, and it has alot of pictures and details
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/fscu/axletech/
he needs to let us add this to our tech section :read:
:word:

PICS are GOOD

Im never clean enough to touch a camera when Im doing one and I never have any help just standing around playing pool pocket. Hats off to vhato for his article

Josh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts