GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does it look? This is my first time so I really would like to make sure they're set correct.
Now that I'm looking at it, in the 1st pic theres a few bare spots. I must've missed it when I painted the gear. If you zoom in you'll see what I mean. Just don't want to confuse anyone.
Thanks in advance!
-Brad
EDIT: Forgot to add these are motive 5.13 gears in a gm 10 bolt

·
Registered
636 Posts
contact looks decent b/t the ring and pinion. PM bryan (Axis T6), he can point you in the right direction.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Pattern is too deep and the gear paint is not thin enough. I would consult the gear install sticky. What pinion shim is in there now? What shim did you start with? For 10 bolts, a good starting shim is 0.036".

What is the backlash in that pic?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pattern is too deep and the gear paint is not thin enough. I would consult the gear install sticky. What pinion shim is in there now? What shim did you start with? For 10 bolts, a good starting shim is 0.036".

What is the backlash in that pic?
I did read through the sticky. Thanks for that write up by the way, thats what gave me the motivation to do this. Anyways I have .036" as the pinion depth and the backlash is about 7 thousandths….I coulda swore I nailed it but apparently not….What should I do? Increase the backlash a little?
Also how do i thin up the paint? I'm just using what came with the kit. wd-40?

·
Registered
826 Posts
I think he means don't lay the paint down so thick on the gear ? I could be wrong

·
Registered
826 Posts
in the sticky I remember seeing only a little paint on about two teeth

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I sorta went over kill. Well I got it pulled right now and I'm gonna clean it off and mess with the backlash a little and hopefully I can get this damn thing

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
You thin the gear paint with gear oil until it is like a chocolate sauce like consistency. Put it back in there with the 0.036" shim and run the pattern. It could very well be that you were spot on but the paint was deceiving. That was a good backlash BTW.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Well I just feel like a moron now.... Maybe that's why he hasn't answered me lmao.
I was working, then was dealing with the babies.

in the sticky I remember seeing only a little paint on about two teeth
I paint 4 teeth, and only the coast side as it gives a larger surface to read from.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You thin the gear paint with gear oil until it is like a chocolate sauce like consistency. Put it back in there with the 0.036" shim and run the pattern. It could very well be that you were spot on but the paint was deceiving. That was a good backlash BTW.
Alright I re-set the ring gear, thinned the paint and here's what I got. I'm reading .008" backlash and I made a mistake yesterday when I said the pinion shim is .036"..its actually .033".
Axis idk how you got your contact pattern to show up so clear. I thinned the paint to a chocolate sauce consistency like you said and it still isn't wearing like yours in the sticky. Looks like its a heavy heel but it seems to be centered okay between the root and crown…idk what do you think?

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
The pattern reads like it is too far away. When running the pattern, do the following:

1. Paint teeth.
2. Turn Pinion until it is about to contact the first painted tooth.
3. Put a 3/4" wrench on one of the ring gear bolts.
4. Use one hand to keep the wrench on the ring gear bolt, and the other to move the wrench up and down.

This is what I do to make running the pattern easier. It also helps if the pinion nut is snug such that you get maybe 1 free spin out of it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pattern definitely came up better…first pic is the coast other is the drive. The coast side looks heavy heel but the drive side shows center-ish/toe. So should I just go with it since I won't be able to get both sides centered? I'm not sure if the pictures are doing the justice but it looks pretty good in person…
What do ya think?

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
NICE!! What is backlash? Also remember, Heel/Toe is not as important as root/crown. I would say that is pretty much spot on.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sweet! Blacklash is .008". Motive calls for .007"-.009" so I'm good!! Time to tear everything back apart!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea I had to erase my other pics to upload the new ones. I already drove the truck and so far so good! Plus I can't hear a damn thing. I was afraid they were gonna whine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts