GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
BORN CHEVY
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone around me know how to install some gears? I got the 4.56 ring and pinions for front 8.25 IFS and 8.5 10 bolt and the master install kits. Just need someone to put them in. Where yall at? I will drive some if I need too.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Zimmer gears on S. Choctaw maybe.

·
BORN CHEVY
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know Zimmer but most of all the shops around here have told me $1K+ just for install of front and rear gears. Looking for a individual that could come and help me change them out for some side money.

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,898 Posts
Marcus(maxxis85) mike(bigred05) Drew(cajun4x4)...... I still have to learn..

·
Max
702 Posts
Now I live in PA so I don't know how much more things like this cost where you are but my buddy (bowtie kid) paid around $800 for the install of the front and rear gears and a true track. I wouldn't pay much more then that if I were you. Reading other peoples post since i've been a member it seemed like they were paying around the same amount for the install too. IMO

·
BORN CHEVY
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright Bubba! I took the rear end out from under the truck tonight and brought it in the air conditioned shop. Gonna start tearing in to it tomorrow and see if we can do it. If it goes good then we are gonna do the front. Me and 02white6.0 are gonna attemp it. I have read instructions and how to set everything up and think it will be ok. Theres only one way to learn. But if a expert is in the area and wants to stop by to help out give me a call 225-933-3766. We are just outside of Baton Rouge in Central City(Greenwell Springs).
Thanks, Cory

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,898 Posts
there is a good writeup on fullsize chevy... it might be a bitch to find these days... but its a step by step on how to gear a 10bolt

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,898 Posts
i think the hardest part will be pinion bearing preload and setting the backlash...

and if you dont have a press you may have a hard time getting the carrier bearings on..

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Yeah I know Zimmer but most of all the shops around here have told me $1K+ just for install of front and rear gears.
Damn

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,898 Posts
cajun offroad in lafayette charges 400 a axle

I bought my f-250 from Saia Auto... dustin you know where that is? and i went eat at Corner Cafe' place was pretty good

·
BORN CHEVY
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah Saia is off of Hooper Road in Central. How did you find that place to buy a truck? Im about to get started on tearing it down. I got my phone number up there if anyone is interested in coming to help.

·
Silvy NBS CCSB 5.3L Owner
135 Posts
Cajun offroad x2....if you were looking to have someone install the gears for you. Doin' it yourself is always a lot more fun tho.

·
Super trash and proud
1,921 Posts
I got a guy gonna install mine for $600 in brookhaven. I went by a talked with him thursday. I might not do it til next time I'm home though.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Yeah Saia is off of Hooper Road in Central. How did you find that place to buy a truck? Im about to get started on tearing it down. I got my phone number up there if anyone is interested in coming to help.
Word..I pass there everyday going to work.

·
BORN CHEVY
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I got the rears installed. Motive 4.56 and Detroit Truetrac. They feel good and no noise while your driving but when I let off the gas around 40-50mph it has a little whirling noise. I talked to a couple people and they said its fine. Any opinions. I am gonna do the front hopefully next weekend.

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,898 Posts
check the pinion bearing preload... Mike....chime in

·
Show Trucks R 4 Gays
478 Posts
What did you set your backlash to? Any pictures of the final pattern you ran? Hearing a noise with no load usually means improper backlash.

·
BORN CHEVY
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I just got finished researching it. Everything shows to reset you preload. I am going to do that in the morning. I just have to drop the driveshaft and do some snugging up.

·
BORN CHEVY
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What did you set your backlash to? Any pictures of the final pattern you ran? Hearing a noise with no load usually means improper backlash.
None of the info of noise on deceleration shows it being the backlash. Everything states preload of the pinion. No I didnt take any pics but they were hitting just as everything should according to all instructions and reviews I have read.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts