GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to order my 4:56's and detroit trutrac for my truck and I was just thinking about it last night if I really need to get a full master rebuild kit for the front IFS Diff. The truck only has 48,000 miles on in and I will just be swapping out the gears in the front. I guess I am just thinking about saving some time and money by not having to put new bearings on the carrier. What do you guys think, just do a minor install kit or get the full master install kit with bearings for the front?

Thanks

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
My truck had 40ish thousand miles on it when I did my gears. I did minor install kits front and rear. No regrets, no problems.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
2,073 Posts
When I do it, I'm going with a full yukon master overall kit for both the front and the rear more than likely.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Some may argue that anything other then a master install kit is half assing it, but i strongly disagree. Carrier bearings dont just "go bad" in 40,000 miles. If its whooped on off-road and used for heavy towing where they're heated up regularly, then yea maybe go ahead and replace them. However, going with a minor install kit on a newer truck with low miles is absolutely 100% acceptable. Just look at them; no pitting? no grinding? no rust? spins fine? run them. :read: It can often times save you $200 or more. It did me.

Replacing perfectly good bearings is alot like a chick getting fake Ds to replace her amazing Cs. It may be "better" but it doesnt make sense for the cost involved :imo.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Replacing perfectly good bearings is alot like a chick getting fake Ds to replace her amazing Cs. It may be "better" but it doesnt make sense for the cost involved :imo.
:roflbow:

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Just leave them, it's not a 30 year D60 that's been sitting without a breather in a yard for the last 10 filling up with milkshake. They'll be fine IMO.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
If you can wait, I will get you the pinion shim thicknesses I used for when I geared a suburban to 4.56. That will save you A LOT of time.

·
Super trash and proud
1,921 Posts
My truck only has like 18,000 on it and I just went ahead and ordered the master install kits with mine. I probably don't need the front one but I did anyways. :shrug:

I guess I like to waste money.

·
Throttle Jockey
279 Posts
Master....If you are pressing a bearing off.....I wouldn't reuse.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know its really split which way to go. I think I am just going to get the full master kit and make sure I get it done right. A 100 bucks more really isn't that bad just to make sure everything is new. Thanks for the input guys!

Jay

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
I know its really split which way to go. I think I am just going to get the full master kit and make sure I get it done right. A 100 bucks more really isn't that bad just to make sure everything is new. Thanks for the input guys!

Jay
Alright, assuming you are gearing a 1/2 ton burban, use a .045" pinion shim on the front, and .032" pinion shim on the rear.

Also, do you happen to have a pic of how you routed your exhaust around your SFA brackets? I plan to put long tubes on my truck, and I don't know how my exhaust will work out.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Master....If you are pressing a bearing off.....I wouldn't reuse.
You just have to have a good puller, plenty of bearings will press off perfect so long as you get the inner race lip and pull upwards evenly.

However IIRC the backlash in the IFS case is set with spanners so you don't need to pull the carrier bearings to test fit shims underneath like a 10 bolt or a Dana axle.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You just have to have a good puller, plenty of bearings will press off perfect so long as you get the inner race lip and pull upwards evenly.

However IIRC the backlash in the IFS case is set with spanners so you don't need to pull the carrier bearings to test fit shims underneath like a 10 bolt or a Dana axle.
Correct, and unless you have autotrac the front carrier and pinion bearings do not turn when the truck is in 2 wheel drive. You may have a truck with 80000 miles, but how many of those miles were in 4 wheel drive?

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts

Correct. It is also a good idea to replace the spanner lock tabs. They are cheap at the dealer.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Offtopic but do u have pics of your lifted nbs beside ur sfa obs? Would love to see the two of them together for size comaprisons.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Cost-benefit.

I guess it depends what your variables are and what you consider the service life of a bearing to be in that application.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
If youre already in there, why not?
What the other Kyle said. That $200 you save is 1/2 way to a Tru-Trac, or new exhaust, or tinted windows...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts