GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm workin on rebuilding a 14 bolt SF and this is the first time I have ever done gears and never personally seen it done. So I was wondering if I threw up some pictures of my gear pattern, can somebody give me some input. I feel like it is good but want someone with experience to give me some input. Thanks for the help.

Coast
DSC00814.jpg

DSC00815.jpg

Drive
DSC00813.jpg

DSC00816.jpg

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
whats BL look like? it looks pretty good. id run it without fear.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Right in the middle, drive it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Now I have done this with the setup bearings. I plan on checking again when I get the new bearings pressed on there just to be safe but should I expect a little change or not? If I remember correctly the bearing preload will change a little but I dont recall reading about BL and gear pattern changing at all.

·
5,501 Posts
if it changes, it will only be a tiny, tiny bit. double check anyway.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
RUn that pattern and dont even worry. Break in with Dino oil for 500 easy miles varying speedn the drop the cover inspect magnet and clean housing. Fill with Sythetic oil and forget about it!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RUn that pattern and dont even worry. Break in with Dino oil for 500 easy miles varying speedn the drop the cover inspect magnet and clean housing. Fill with Sythetic oil and forget about it!
When I check the magnet I assume there is going to be some stuff right? Thats why you change the oil so soon.

·
5,501 Posts
When I check the magnet I assume there is going to be some stuff right? Thats why you change the oil so soon.
exactly. there will be some metal...but it shouldn't be excessive. itll be a thin layer over the magnet...not a huge clump if its set up right

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nice brandon! so when does the swap go down? :naughty:
Well I'm pretty close to havin it setup but I need to find a in pound torque wrench to read some low numbers which I cant find anywhere. Im goin to a bike shop either now or tomorrow to see if they carry one. Then its pretty soon.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
coming from another person who has never done gears, how long did that take you? is there anyone who lives w/in 2 hrs of IL that want's to make some money and let me watch them do gears.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts