GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gears is new to me..i really want to learn and do an install myself..i have done everything myself on my truck and i wanna tackle this next .i wanna do gears now that i have 37s....is there any way to do the front diff while still driving the truck. if i pulled out my diff and front driveshaft..installed the gears...while driving my truck back and forth to work ...install back into truck..and knock the rear end out in a weekend...could it happen..can yall give me any advice/help...and not take it to a shop that does it b/c i want to learn for myself.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
if this can be done (which i think it can) it would be really helpful for you. it took me longer to regear my 8.25 then it did to install my lift :crazy:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if this can be done (which i think it can) it would be really helpful for you. it took me longer to regear my 8.25 then it did to install my lift :crazy:
and you had a shop:think:
haha...well i plan on starting on the rear end like a friday night. and in case any problems occur i can get it fixed before monday.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
and you had a shop:think:
haha...well i plan on starting on the rear end like a friday night. and in case any problems occur i can get it fixed before monday.
i never did my rear but i'm sure it's a hell of a lot easier than the front since you don't have to pull the axle out. set up a set of gears on my teachers ford 9" last semester and it was cake.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i never did my rear but i'm sure it's a hell of a lot easier than the front since you don't have to pull the axle out. set up a set of gears on my teachers ford 9" last semester and it was cake.
sent ya a pm

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep looks good to me :thumbsup: you goin to order?
i want to..i just ordered nfabs too so i got pretty much everything i want done to the truck and today i actually debated taking everything off and going back to stock.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Dont go back to stock...that would be a sad day. Get the gears, get them in , and romp yo shit and be happy!

·
GET SOME!!!
589 Posts
I carry Motive R/P's. They are a nice kit and WAY cheaper than the Yukons. Ive personally had more trouble out of Yukon gears than Motives. I hear alot of people running Yukons though.
PM me if you need a price for anything.

·
OBS preservation society
886 Posts
genuine gear cheaper and have a liftetime warranty also u can do that with your front diff although mine was leaking a seal and needs gearing any way ive had mine out for almost 3 months and no probs yet. i also cut the stub that goes into the knuckle on the outside of the cv off just for safety the cv is junk now but it was ruined before hand anyways. i would think ud be fine just pulling the cvs because i think its a sealed bearing correct?

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
I reccomend Yukon, I have installed sets of gears and all have been Yukon and all have run silent so far.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts