GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Kyle
Joined
·
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres how i broke it down (from the 4wheelparts website)
auburn pro limited slip differential- $372.99
front ring&pinion gears- $139.99
rear ring&pinion gears- $139.99
rear install kit - $107.99
front install kit - $89.99
$870 for parts
600+ for labor
half off of that labor this saturday @ 4wp would be 300+ dollars
grand total should hit around$1,170.

Does that sound about right or no? I'm going to try to haggle them down as much i can like i did on my lift install, i hate them, but dont have many options in town... what do you think?

P.S. Do you think i'm going with a good LSD? Or what would you do?
Oh and 4.88's and 36's? or 4.56 and 36's?
 

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
Joined
·
5,501 Posts
How much highway driving do you do? Id like to have some 4.88s and 35s, but my truck rarely sees highway. Also, it would be nice to have 4.88s if you ever go to 38s or anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
RedneckDude said:
How much highway driving do you do? Id like to have some 4.88s and 35s, but my truck rarely sees highway. Also, it would be nice to have 4.88s if you ever go to 38s or anything.

36" tires should true out to be around ~34.5"-35". 4.56's should be a good all around gear. If you think you will EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER go bigger then I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend 4.88's along with the SuperLift ABS Calibrator.

As you know, on my old truck (pictured) I had 4.88's and 4.56's. With 37's 4.56's are too high. The 4.88's were WAY better matched for highway and city conditions. No question about it. I pulled the 4.88's because at the time Westers could program a PCM to fix the ABS problem and SuperLift didn't have the ABS Calibrator.
 

·
Pink Bear Man...
Joined
·
1,455 Posts
Kyle, I have 4.56 and it pulls my 37's around fine. My truck actually has more get up than before the lift. I just had a factory LSD put in, it was on special for 100 bucks but it has worked well so far. And i think i paid around 820 for everything installed, that is plus a spider gear kit that you wont need. Mine were FUBAR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,012 Posts
vhato said:
36" tires should true out to be around ~34.5"-35". 4.56's should be a good all around gear. If you think you will EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER go bigger then I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend 4.88's along with the SuperLift ABS Calibrator.

As you know, on my old truck (pictured) I had 4.88's and 4.56's. With 37's 4.56's are too high. The 4.88's were WAY better matched for highway and city conditions. No question about it. I pulled the 4.88's because at the time Westers could program a PCM to fix the ABS problem and SuperLift didn't have the ABS Calibrator.
I am going w/ 4.88s and thought that by doing that I would lose the abs, does the superlift calibrator fix it so I still have abs? Would a nelson tune do the same thing, I would rather have that since it will give me perf. upgrades, fix my speedo from the bigger tires, but I didn't think the abs could be fixed?
 

·
Kyle
Joined
·
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i'm not going bigger, and it will be on the highway way more now that i'm going to school. So that means i should do 4.56 then correct? I dont think any bigger would be smart personally, but maybe some tsl radials or pj's are in order after i do gears, but 36x14.50's again, no need to be any bigger on my poor ifs.

p.s. vhato, the 4x flares are sweet and were easy to install, got a good deal from gowarn.com!! i wish more peeps would run them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,303 Posts
This might sound funny, but I run 4.88's with tiny 35's. But, I do 90% city driving, and I plan on going a little bigger. I'm getting 13 mpg and I feel faster than stock. Great acceleration. RPM's on the highway hurts though.. if I cruise down the highway at 65-70, on a flat stretch, I'm at 2350 rpm's. I think going that fast stock, I was at 2200 rpm's or so. I would recommend 4.88's. :imo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
klemmentine said:
This might sound funny, but I run 4.88's with tiny 35's. But, I do 90% city driving, and I plan on going a little bigger. I'm getting 13 mpg and I feel faster than stock. Great acceleration. RPM's on the highway hurts though.. if I cruise down the highway at 65-70, on a flat stretch, I'm at 2350 rpm's. I think going that fast stock, I was at 2200 rpm's or so. I would recommend 4.88's. :imo
I first did 35" A/T's on 4.88's and I agree. The truck was faster than it was when I bought it. The front end would raise up and the back would squat. Towing the boat was a BREEEEEZE. Interstate travel blew chunks though.

00Sierra One of the 2 can fix the ABS issue. Westers or Nelson. I really don't remember which one. However, the new Superlift ABS Calibrator will do it to. But I don't see it on their website yet.

Kyle Either way you will be happy with your gear choice. You can go either way and be happy. Congrats on the flares. I just need to do some modding to my new truck....and change my sig.
 

·
Pink Bear Man...
Joined
·
1,455 Posts
I still think 4.56 if your gonna do alot of highway. Mine is fine and i didnt have to go out and get some ABS fixxer. Just used my tuner to fix the problem. What ever you do, good luck man. Itll be way better than those 3.73's
 

·
Kyle
Joined
·
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
4.56's and the auburn both go in tuesday, thanks for the help guys.
 

·
Kyle
Joined
·
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 4.56's are great, its like driving a stock truck again, the engine feels good, it shifts perfect again, and i can idle up things again, I cant wait to get it offroad pretty soon, but going on the highway it is a vast improvement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Kyle said:
The 4.56's are great, its like driving a stock truck again, the engine feels good, it shifts perfect again, and i can idle up things again, I cant wait to get it offroad pretty soon, but going on the highway it is a vast improvement.
Congrats man. Idling up small hills was the first thing I noticed on my first gear swap. THen the next was the highway. Setting the cruise to 80 and driving on overpasses never resulted in a Downshift.

At that time I was a fast driver on Highways and Interstates and an aggressive driver around town. I never noticed a MPG increase because I was always hauling ass. If you are like I was then your MPG will be the same.
 

·
Kyle
Joined
·
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
vhato said:
Congrats man. Idling up small hills was the first thing I noticed on my first gear swap. THen the next was the highway. Setting the cruise to 80 and driving on overpasses never resulted in a Downshift.

At that time I was a fast driver on Highways and Interstates and an aggressive driver around town. I never noticed a MPG increase because I was always hauling ass. If you are like I was then your MPG will be the same.
did you have a hypertech vhato? and if so what settings did you use on it, i'm tempted to play with mine a little more now :anitoof: Mostly shift points i'm curious about on a truck with some 35's or above
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top