GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 1500 2wd on a 6 inch lift and 35s. Looking to get a 3 inch body lift and 37s. I currently have 4.56 gears, and I was wondering if the change to 4.88 will be worth the price. Also would like to know mpg. Don't my know my exact mpg but it's daily driven and is filled up every 7-9 days depending on what I was doing that week. If I were to assume it'd be mid 14-15?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
Give it a custom tune if you dont already have one and i could see 14mpg on a good day. 4.56 is plenty unless you can get a good deal on the swap

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Give it a custom tune if you dont already have one and i could see 14mpg on a good day. 4.56 is plenty unless you can get a good deal on the swap
Do you mind recommending me one? I know the name brands, but I would also like to get opinions on them. Another thing is, what exactly is the difference between a programmer and a tune? I also thought they were interchangeable, but I'm starting to think that, that assumption is incorrect.

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
Blackbear performance is the way to go for GM. They are a vendor here, i think they have a tune meet up somewhat close to coming up soon

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
yeah i'd just keep the 4.56 gears. the cost vs benefit is not really there unless you have someone ready to buy your axle and front diff and give you their's to swap the new gears in. thats if you REALLY want 4.88's. its gonna be quite a bit slower either way unfortunately LOL. my friend literally just went from 35's to 37's with his 4.88's and noticed a substantial difference due to the tires.

black bear is well known for their mail order tunes but if you can do the in person tune thats the most highly suggested. or do some searching and find a good local turner if possible. best bet is to check the performance trucks forums for recommendations from them.

want my suggestion? if your truck is still setup how it looks in your signature, get rid of those ugly blacked out lights, its just a safety hazard. Get a small body lift(1.5") and grab some different wheels (never been a fan of those ballistic jesters and those ridiculous caps on the outside) that are wider offset (x10 or x12) and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have 4.56 and 37's. Was a noticeable change coming from 4.56 and 35's. But to me that small of gear ratio change would not be worth it. I do often wish I had 4.88 or 5.13 but I'll live with it for now and try to keep adding hp's to the motor. I have doug thorley headers, airraid intake, and Blackbear tune and it still goes good. Last trip I had 14.2 MPG. With the 37's and 4.56 Justin at blackbear also told me the computer will not allow proper calibration, so your speedo will read correct but your ABS light will be on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i'd just keep the 4.56 gears. the cost vs benefit is not really there unless you have someone ready to buy your axle and front diff and give you their's to swap the new gears in. thats if you REALLY want 4.88's. its gonna be quite a bit slower either way unfortunately LOL. my friend literally just went from 35's to 37's with his 4.88's and noticed a substantial difference due to the tires.

black bear is well known for their mail order tunes but if you can do the in person tune thats the most highly suggested. or do some searching and find a good local turner if possible. best bet is to check the performance trucks forums for recommendations from them.

want my suggestion? if your truck is still setup how it looks in your signature, get rid of those ugly blacked out lights, its just a safety hazard. Get a small body lift(1.5") and grab some different wheels (never been a fan of those ballistic jesters and those ridiculous caps on the outside) that are wider offset (x10 or x12) and call it a day.
The blacked out lights are just light covers I used during the day to make my truck stand out. I know of the safety issues they cause. Also planning on replacing the rims, but I got a good deal on the truck and those were the rims it came with so I yet to replace them.

·
4,725 Posts
Lethal racing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts