GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
GPS Guru
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to remove my Rancho lift kit and, due to the fact that you have to cut the top mount off the differential to mount it up, I'm trading the raped differential for a new one, i guess thats one good thing about working at a dealership :anitoof: but anyway, this differential that I'm getting, how do I know what gear ratio is in it? The shop foreman tells me it has 4:10's, because when they put it in another truck, when it locked in 4x4, all hell broke loose. But that truck could've had 3:42's and the front end been 3:73's... So I'm not sure whats in it. Do I crack it open and count the teeth or is there some other way? Thanks

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Open it up is about the only way to know for sure. The housing should be the same no matter what gear set is in there so Im not sure how you could tell for sure w/o opening her up.

BTW.. why are you returning it to stock? Just wondering.

·
GPS Guru
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many should there be? And I'm putting it down and selling it to try and get a little bit of my money back, and all of the salesmen where I work tell me they'll give me atleast $1000 more if its regular size, and I even went shopping around at a *gasp* dodge/jeep and ford dealerships and every time a salesman walked up he asked "now how hard would it be to put that thing back down on the ground?" So I'm just gonna save them some trouble and me some money and put it back myself, and plus I love working on it, it gives me something to do and keeps me outta trouble. :anitoof:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I don't know how many gears, but if its a 4.10 setup, the one with the most teeth should have 4.10 times the number of teeth on the other gear...

i think

I could be off...

·
GPS Guru
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the body lift off today. Decided to just pull my differential and have it welded up, I don't plan on keeping the truck too much longer, so it'll be somebody elses problem. :anitoof:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts