GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No big hurry but my Hoe could use some gears ..I am running 35" tires and 3.73 gears .. On highway locked up and in O/D I am at 1500rpm at about 65 , Almost feels like i am sitting at idle . .

I do a lot of mixed driving , and would like to have a some compromise between mountain climbing power and gas mileage .

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think I'd have to agree with 4.56's. I've had a shop express to me that the jump from 3.73's to 4.10's really isn't that much of a gain for the amount of money you'll pay to have it done so might as well make it worth while... but if you had 3.42's then the 4.10's would be a noticable imporvement and still give you some decent mileage to boot...Not that the 4.56's is going to hurt mileage....

·
Registered
688 Posts
My vote would also be for 4.56, but if you ever plan to run anything bigger than a 36" tire I would just get 4.88's right now. I kind of wish I would have

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My vote would also be for 4.56, but if you ever plan to run anything bigger than a 36" tire I would just get 4.88's right now. I kind of wish I would have
Ya I cant run tires any bigger for a few reasons, The big one is I am real anal on keeping any car or truck i own in a garage . My last Blazer was a 93 with 316,000 miles and not a spot of rot on it and i live in an area where salt is used like crazy..I do think because it is out of the weather more then it is in it makes it hold up a lot longer . . .

And I plow snow as well , have with every 4x4 i ever owned , and to clear 37" would mean in winter with my 265 tires I could not get into garage to hook up plow ! Another anal issue ,,Got to keep plow in garage so it looks new for the 5 years ill keep it !

When u get to my age , ya do shit certain ways no matter what any one thinks , and with no care if it makes sense to any one but your self ! ! !

9,778 Posts
if you plan to keep 4.56 WITHOUT a doubt go with 4.56. You will have a good bit of power and perfectly setup truck. 4.10 isn't worth doing and 4.88 is way too deep for 35 (I personally know)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thanks guys , I will use 4.56 ,, here is another question..

When I drop back to the 265 series to plow will I have any issues with gears being to low ? Or should I not worry about it as I do not do any long trips in the winter any way just in town driving ..

·
Registered
688 Posts
When you drop down tire sizes in the winter you will be fine, your truck will just seem a little torquier and rev more rpms on the highway, but you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
4:56s would be perfect. i had 4:10s in my 03 z71 on 33s and was set just about right, i would have liked alittle more low end if possible tho. so 4:10s wouldnt be low enough imo for 35s.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts