GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i currently have 35" tires that probably only measure to 34 inches... i have a 6" suspension lift, about an inch of crank and a 3" body lift (10 inches of lift)... when my tires wear out i am planning on either 37s or possibly 38s..NO BIGGER.. I hate ever having to worry about rubbing....I would like to re gear if i have the money at the time..i am going to re gear so i can go back to getting stock power, and gas millage is crucial ... should i go with 4.56s or 4.88s...

consider that i will never go bigger that a 38 inch tire if i even go that big...im leaning more towards the 37 inch toyo mt

thanks for all the help!

shoptruck002.jpg

shoptruck001.jpg

shoptruck003.jpg

shoptruck004.gif

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
i have 37s with 4.56 and its not bad at all, but I wouldnt mind going to 5.13s

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
4.88s or 5.13s

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
5.13's either way. Im running 5.38s and they are a little too low for 70 down the highway with my Big Block

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
If you're worried about mileage, why the fuck do you drive a 10" lifted truck?

LOL, I couldn't agree more. That setup isn't going to get past 15mpg unless it was down hill and turned off :rofl2:

Just 5.13:1 it and drive 65mph.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
i heard if you run the proper gears you can go back to stock gas millage and power
and I heard that if I put milk and cookies out, a fat guy in a red suit will fall down my chimney and bring me presents.

The extra rolling mass will hurt you. It takes alot of power to turn that weight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok 91 bowtie go somewhere else you aren't helping anything... I am concerned with fuel economy, and getting back to stock power because i have a lifted truck... if i didn't have a lifted truck it would not be a concern

anyone who actually want to help i really would appreciate it

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
ok 91 bowtie go somewhere else you aren't helping anything... I am concerned with fuel economy, and getting back to stock power because i have a lifted truck... if i didn't have a lifted truck it would not be a concern

anyone who actually want to help i really would appreciate it
That doesn't even make sense. I understand why you're regearing the truck, but to expect near-stock fuel economy is comical. I gave the reasoning in my previous post.

It's common sense. It takes more power to turn the heavier tires. If you do anything to make more power, it will burn more fuel.

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
i heard if you run the proper gears you can go back to stock gas millage and power
My truck feels stronger than it was before, and it has taken on stock and non stock trucks before..so you can get the power back, but on the gas mileage it will depend. If your on the pedal all the time(like me) dont expect to get great gas mileage...I get about 12-14mpg. You will get lucky if you get passed 15, but yeah dude a lifted truck wont see good gas mileage like a prius:biggrin:

M

·
0 Posts
I have a hard time believing that your friend is getting stock mileage with a lift and larger tires. It doesn't make any sense...making your truck taller (wind resistance) and adding rotating mass is going to take more energy to push down the road no matter how you look at it.

5.13's and realize that you will still be driving a large truck. Also keep in mind that even if you pick up 2 mpg, think about how long it will take to break even on the cost + install of new gears.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
4.88s minimum, but I would rather have 5.13s. Especially with wide/heavy 38s.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
4.88s if you run around on the highway a lot, 5.13s if you haul shit, tow, or blast around town. I have 38s/4.88s on my tired old 350 TBI, if the motor was a nice fresh 5.3 or 6.0 (or something with comparable power) it would serve my use just fine. Even as it is, it is still fine for my driving/towing although i cannot comment on what my trans looks like inside right now, its not showing any crazy increase in feeling loose and worn out since the big lift went on 4 years ago though.

I would do 5.13s if everything else is staying stock, i'll probably stick to 4.88s though for mine.

EDIT: for the record before anyone tells me I'm "wrong"...I've been driving my truck setup like this for almost 4 years, and for 25k miles. Towing our 4000 lbs boat, my golf cart on a trailer with a ton of stuff in the bed, driving 250 miles one way between home and school, and driving around town a few times a week. 5.13s would be AWESOME when dragging the boat around, especially on long steep grades, but for 95% of my driving the 4.88s are totally fine. this is from personal experience, not speculation.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts